1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez ATK and Stingray soundclips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by q1014, Feb 27, 2008.

1. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    does any one have soundclips of these two basses i could compare side by side. i would really appreciate it preferably slap and pick cheers

2. Would if i could, but it wouldnt proove anything right now.

They sound pretty similar. The main differences ive noticed are that Stingrays have a more detailed top end, all the sparkle to the sound. ATKs have a deeper sound, slightly subdued highs (in comparison), but a low-mid bump in the sound.

Because they sound pretty similar, my ATK is currently wound with flats, and my fretted 'ray with rounds. So they dont sound too similar anymore :p

3. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    anyone else

4. I own a stingray, and A/B'd it with an atk at a store a while ago. They are really tonally similar, i could basically get them to sound alike with a little eqing. What i noticed mainly was it was easier to see where the fingerboard was attached on the ATK (it was a maple board), and a couple of little fit and finish things. Nothing really major, and the atk was about 900 bucks cheaper. The action was a little higher, but that might just be the music store's setup. If i wasn't so attached to my stingray, i would have bought an ATK instead, and use the leftover 900 bucks to improve my amp setup.

5. I REALLY like both, but overall prefer the ATK (esp the 5 string) - I would describe the ATK souind (in Attack mdoe) as more "organic" tahn the Ray - not quite as sparkly in the highs, but I prefer that, plus dfig taht the other modes (Trad, Bright) are fun - REALLy digging the Trad with slight bass and treble boost for a kind of "PBass but modern" style vibe.

Caveat - the Elixer strings that my ATK305 came with are junk - once I changed them to my regular brand, the bass toen really opened up.

Jamie

6. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I've owned and gigged both recently... I could post clips, but they really sound very similar. :)

The ATK is a little more versatile in terms of tonal variability... and the slap is a tad more Jazz bass like. The MM is a little thicker sounding than the ATK if you're using the ATK to try and sound like a MM.

The electronics on the MM are a little quieter and the build quality/comfortability is better.

The ATK has a higher string tension feel to it... it also weighs about the same as the MM. It was .2 lbs. different from my MIA P bass.

I really feel like the 'ray would hold up better to abuse... which may or may not be relevant. :)

Is a 'ray worth the extra cash? I can't answer that for you... but I can say, without question, that I believe the ATK is the best bass that $500 can buy.

7. I hate ATK talk because I'm a lefty.

8. Erm, and why is that you hate them?

You can get left handed ATKs

9. I think you can only get 4 string ATKs lefty...could be wrong.....never seen a 5 string in lefty....

jamie

10. I'd love to know where. Ibanez has no mention of them on their site, and a google search turned up somebody saying that they thought they quit making them a while ago.

11. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    bump