Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez ATK basses for those interested

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Jun 27, 2002.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hey for those interested I was in Detroit today,and I stoped in a store called Motor City Guitar(in Waterford,MI.)they have four 4 string ATK's and one 5 string ATK as a very decent price.248-673-1900 ask for Marty.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    :eek: I haven't been in there in a while. I'll have to stop in this weekend and see what's up. Thanks for the heads-up :cool: !

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Your welcome Slater.

4. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
  5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    They could wire that pup SOOOO much better.

6. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i was just thinking how odd that pickup selector setup was... i guess you can't solo the neck pickup?

but really, i'd need to play one for myself to form an opinion about it.
    this is definitely way up on my "need to check out" list.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yes you can. The center coil of the tri-coil is a dummy.

8. aye..

in a couple of days i'll get my Bassculture.de NEOBUCKER ( ATK replacement pickup ), i'm anxious to hear it in action. :D :D

9. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    dummy??!! hmm... interesting...
    why is that? to cancel hum or something?
    or just to look cool with 3 pickups??:rolleyes:

10. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I went over to MCG to check out the ATKs. All of them were the low-end 300 series. The 5'r was used and in fair condition. The neck felt comfortable in my left hand, but I didn't like the overall feel of the bass. I didn't bother to plug it in.
    I only found two new 4-strings. I picked up one of the four strings, plucked a couple of notes, didn't like the feel or the unplugged sound, hung it back on the wall. I guess my memory of the old USA ATKs was to much for these models to live up to :( .

11. I just bought a ATK 305. 5 string. Not a MIA. I don't like the idea of not having a adjustable truss rod. I got it off eBay :eek: Yea I know, it was a impulsive buy! But I am looking forward to recieving it. My first 5 string bass ever.. ! Really. I'v been playing bass for over 20 year and never had the urge to play more than a 4 banger..until I saw this bass... ... It should be here next week. I will post pic's when I get it in my hands.

12. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    non-adjustable truss rod???!!!??? :eek:
    hope it doesn't get humid where you live~

13. No... The ones made in the USA had some kind of weird non adjustable truss rod thing going on.. The one I bought was made in Japan and It does have a standard type truss rod..... superphat do a search on Ibanez ATK 305 and you will see what I am talking about..um kay!

14. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Slater - I remember thinking the same thing around '91 when I was first searching for a 5 string. I tried out the ATK 305, but I hated the feel of the neck, and I thought if felt kinda cheap overall. I didn't even plug it in at that point.

Maybe it's just that the factory setup is no good, or something, but for what ever reason, my ATK 300 that I bought used plays beautifully. The neck is nice and fast, and the action is great.

Maybe those ATKs need a bit of setup work. They're much better plugged in as well. I was just practicing this morning, and I pulled out my ATK. It kust sounds great.

-Shin

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    When I was in the store checking out the ATK's Marty the owner informed me that the four string models are from some of the last stock he bought from Ibanez right as they were discontinuing the ATK 300 series model.and upon trying them out I can surely say they need a minor setup just as if any instrument that has been put into storage and placed on a rack when space permited itself.they are worth checking out especially a young cat
    without a bunch of money to experiment.

16. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    There was nothing really wrong with the ATKs when I tried them. They were just not to my liking. Like I posted earlier, I still have a strong memory of the USA ATKs, and I was probably expecting too much from the imports on the rack at MCG.

17. Just got my Ibanez ATK 305 today...It's in like band new condition. It's really a nice bass. tons of tones....It sounds great and the neck is just fine ..not wide and not to slim... This is a wonderful bass.. Super Sweet!!!!! Here's some pic's

18. another pic:

19. Sorry here's another one ... I still can't figure out how to post more than one photo per reply..????

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sweeet!

I like the ATK a lot, there is a 305 at a local dealer that I have my eye on, but I have no money right now. Maybe after the wife's new Lakland is paid for...:)