Ibanez ATK basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bill Brasky, Jul 23, 2000.

1. I was looking at these basses and wondered how they sound. I was particularly looking at the 5 string ones and wondered how they compare to a Stingray or Fender Jazz 5 stringer. The electronics look almost the same as a MM (a big humbucker with selectable single coil mode or series or parallel humbucker mode, and a 3 band EQ). The body is also made of ash which is what a lot of Fenders and EB/MM's use I think. It says it's supposed to have a good sort of funk sound, I guess with a pretty fat bottom end but still clear and punchy. I'm going to try and find a music store with one if I can and play around with it since I've never heard one, but I was just wondering what people here had to say about them.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hello, BB, welcome to TalkBass.

If you go for an ATK, try to find the USATK, which is the US-made version odf the bass. It has a PBC tension-free neck, which is a great invention.

I don't know anything else about them, but I'd like to let you know you're one hell of a salesman, BILL BRASKY!!!!!

By the way, fill the rest of your profile. The regulars will appreciate it.

Will C. [​IMG]

I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The last one I played sounded great. It had a musicman tone and a switch. I like basses with switches. They are fun.
    I wanted to get one as a project bass. They are active and sound great and used are generally cheap. I missed out on one for $200, but there will be more. I want to repaint and/or upgrade electronics on one for practice. But they sound good factory, too.

Carpet cleaning sucks
  4. I have an ATK-305-BK which I like. It has a great tone, has a nice action, is easy to play (especially with Elixir strings). The only draw-back is that it's SO H-E-A-V-Y!

Good Luck!

- Wil

PS: here's a pic:
  5. hell of a salesman? you mean because of my sort of detailed description of the bass? I just read all the stuff on it at ibanez.com (http://www.ibanez.com/atk_series.html) before I asked about it here, so that's why. If you look at the specs, it's like they tried to copy the Stingray bass in every way except slightly for the looks. And the pickup has a bar magnet I think instead of the big magnet pole pieces. I was just wondering if it sounded like a stingray or if it had a different sound but was still good in it's own way maybe.

Oh yeah, I filled out a profile too. I meant to do that after I registered but I forgot.

[This message has been edited by Bill Brasky (edited July 24, 2000).]
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The ATK was intended by Ibanez as a MM competitor and, as far as I can tell, nails the MM tone. (The pickup is similar to the one on the MM five-string, with series, parallel and single+dummy coil switching). Its only drawback is that it's kind of ugly, IMO.

If you can find one, look for a USATK, which BigWheel mentioned. This was the top-of-the-line ATK with the flamey top and "tension free neck" made by Dave Bunker, the relatively-unknown luthier behind the Treker and PBC basses.
  7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Brasky:
    hell of a salesman? you mean because of my sort of detailed description of the bass? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Bill. I thought you chose your name based on the Saturday Night Live sketch. If your name really is Bill Brasky, I'm surprised you never heard of it.

Will C. [​IMG]

I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    There are a couple of ATK 5's on ebay right now!

There are also a couple at www.bassgear.com , including a made in USA 5-string.

[This message has been edited by Slater (edited July 24, 2000).]
  9. Big Wheel: No, you're right, it's from the Saturday Night Live sketch. It's kind of a running joke with me and my friends. like, "One time Bill Brasky made me wear a bikini to work! of course, all the guys laughed at me, but I'll be damned if my sales weren't up 20% that week! Bill Brasky is a sonofabitch! One time, Bill Brasky ate a circus midget!" and so on...

10. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    The ATK sounds somewhat like stingray, but the slap tone is a lot worse. Actually the only problem is that the ATK's highs don't click like stingrays. Of course that may not be bad in your books so give it a try, it's a lot cheaper than a ray.. But I wouldn't trade.
  11. shakeypedro

Jun 6, 2006
    I know this is an extremely old post string, but I felt the need to toss in my two cents. I own an Ibanez ATK 4 Bass. I absolutely love it! I have played it for close to 9 years now. Yes it is very much like a MM Stingray. Differences: heavier (but I like that) and not as much growl (more versatile in my opinion). Every other punk bass player these days has a MM with the standard Ampeg 8x10 cab and they always get a great big punk bass sound that cuts through the mix at a live gig. Obivously this is not for the bassist that plays a variety of styles. I have gigged with my Ibanez and my Carvin RC210 at punk shows (with an added 4x10 cab), jazz, blues, and rock gigs and have never run into a problem. I test drove the USATK and it was closer to the Stingray both in sound and price. I was poor and in college, so I opted for the lesser value bass but got a life time friend.
  12. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Just got word that some company is going to introduce NEW ATK's very soon.:hyper:

13. :hyper: :hyper: WELCOME TO TALKBASS BILL BRASKY!!!:hyper: :hyper:
  14. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    A person who joined last year welcoming someone who joined six years ago and doesn't post anymore:

...hilarious. :D

Haven't seen Brasky in at least three years...
  15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Welcome to Talkbass, Blackbird!
    Blackbird likes this.
  16. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    Last Activity: 04-17-2006
  17. for a fishing forum, you guys sure do talk about guitars a lot
  18. did i ever tell you about the time bill brasky got stranded on a desert island, and had to eat his own arms to survive?