1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez ATK Black-Out

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by STRINGSLINGER, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Tell me if I'm in the wrong corner for this..

Anyway I acquired an Ibanez ATK3ex1 recently and I love the thing... Except for the BROWN fretboard (Rosewood) on an otherwise BLACK bass. :spit: So I decided I would attempt to darken it using Min Wax ebony. So here goes.

Attached Files:

2. I removed the neck, lightly sanded the fretboard with some #320 sanding sponge, cleaned, and prepped. Now for a beer to convince myself to continue.:D

Attached Files:

3. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    This is a great idea!

4. The 1st coat went on last night, followed by a light sand and a 2nd coat this morning before work.. So far it doesn't look like I am going to achieve the level of "Black" I desire. I have read that "oiling" the neck will darken the look, but I am striving for black not dark brown. I have also read that some manufacturers utilize Indian Ink for a black look. Would it be wrong of me to attempt this on top of using Min Wax ebony. Any advise will be carefully considered.

Thanks!!

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Post a picture of the beer when you get it...........

6. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I love the look of my all black & rosewood bass. I would just like it blocked in black w. rosewood.

7. Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.... Love the stuff.
    "I'm in the Business of Beer, And BEER is GOOD!":cool:

Attached Files:

8. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Ugh!

I like flavored beer about as much as I like flavored coffee.......

To each his own.

9. EvilTwin126

EvilTwin126

Aug 23, 2011
    Tomah, WI
    Can't wait to see some pics when finished! I have a black Yamaha BB714 that I won that could look pretty sweet (if this works well)!

10. OK, we are making some progress up in here. After two coats of the ebony I realized I was not going to achieve the level of "BLACK" that I desired, so with a little research I desired to ad a little India Ink to the mix. Instant results. One coat last night and let it saturate for one hour and buffed down. I let it dry over night. One more coat this morning at 6 AM in the same fashion. Tonight I will oil the neck and resemble. I think it will look SWEET!

Attached Files:

11. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Are you going to try to black out the hardware as well?

12. Not on this one. No... However if I can get my hands on another one - cheap, I will experiment with either a parkerized or possibly a ceracoat finish. But for right now I like the chrome on black look.

13. Before & after pics. I think iy turned out pretty good.

ForumRunner_20120606_210556.png

ForumRunner_20120606_210616.png

ForumRunner_20120606_210639.png

ForumRunner_20120606_210639.png

ForumRunner_20120606_210616.png

14. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    That looks pretty damn sweet!

15. Looks good! How'd you get it off of the fret dots?

16. It doesn't really stick to the dots well, but I did use Q-tips to touch them up after applying stain - ink mixture.