Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez ATK fell into my lap yesterday

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Jul 21, 2002.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Hello,
    It didn't literally fall into my lap, but I went over to where my old band used to practice and I found an Ibanez ATK 300 (Korean) that the guitar had been playing while I was away. It needed new strings, a new battery, and a good setup. They said I could take it and fix it up. It had a 3-tone burst that has been partially removed, but the grain of the wood is beautiful. I tried to put new strings on it, but b/c of a faulty tuner (or faulty restringing job) the D and G broke, so I'll just have it restrung and setup professionally. It sounds pretty good, even with dead strings. And it still sounds good with just two strings, but there is a lot of fret buzz. I raised the action pretty high and it still didn't eliminate it completely, so I'm guessing the truss rod may need adjustment. Tomorrow or tuesday, when I get some more cash, I'm going to have it restrung and setup. I could have myself a kickass ATK for nothing, short of setup, and maybe refinishing, but I might try to do it myself. I can see a butterscotch blonde or white blonde ATK in my future.

Dirk

2. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    As some people may know Ive been looking for an ATK. and since you got one for free I hate you, now and forever.;) :p

3. what savages to cripple a good bass that way :mad: they must perrish ! :mad:

see if you can fix it up.. they kick arse bigtime ! :D :D

4. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    It's cool to have a sweet bass like that. I plan on fixing it up. I may just do a satin finish on the natural wood. I'll post pics soon.

Dirk

5. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I just got the bass back today and I really like the sound. I like my P better, but the ATK has a good ballsy growl. It has a 3-way switch and I'm curious which position renders which coil combination. If anyone knows, please inform me.

Dirk

6. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Bill check your PM