1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez ATK Nightmare.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikeyd74, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I recently bought an Ibanez ATK at Guitar Center, it was brand new out of the box, I opted to not get the floor model since it had a couple of dings on it. I was so psyched to get it home because the floor model was awesome.
    The second I got it home I had nothing but problems. The electronics were humming badly which I was finally able to fix, but I noticed that the string action seemed to keep getting higher and higher. I adjusted the bridge saddles to lower the action which helped, but the next time I picked up the bass it seemed like the action was higher again? So I adjusted the truss rod which was a pain in the butt to get to budge. It was better again, until I left the bass hanging up on the wall for a few days. When I got home yesterday the strings were a good half inch away from the fingerboard!!!! ARRRRGH!!!! So apparently the neck was defective.
    I went back to Guitar Center and I exchanged it for the one I had tried out at the store. Sure it has a few dings on it, but at least I have a functioning bass now.
    Don't get me wrong, I love this bass, but what a project it has been from the beginning.
    Hopefully this ATK will behave itself.
    I have to give some credit to Guitar Center, they were very helpful, no questions asked. They just tried to make me happy.

2. spalka621

spalka621 Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Quick question. Did you have to have a receipt to return the bass or do they keep the info on their computers? I'm trying to do the same thing with the fretless corvette I just bought but unfortunately the receipt went home with my dad.

3. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    You don't need the receipt.
    It's funny, I spent a good 20 minutes searching my house for the receipt. When I got there they said that I didn't need it anyway, they keep the records in the computer by the serial number on the bass.

4. spalka621

spalka621 Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks, that made my day. I was getting alittle scared about that. So did you just show up to return it or did you call ahead of time?

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I wonder if the truss rod nut was stripped? I can't imagine the neck slipping like that otherwise.

6. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    I just showed up and they took care of it with no problems.

7. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    No, it wasn't stripped, but there was something definitely wrong with it.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021