1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez ATK or Vintage emj96?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by easternbull, May 5, 2010.

1. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    Have been playing for 13 years but this is my first post, anyway long story short. Ive owned a ATK, loved the tones but found other basses like and OP(musicman rippoff) necks faster and easier to play, so I sold my beloved atk.

But after trying a few basses in the same price range, sure they feel great but I can't get near that same sound when recording. Maybe it's because I mostly play in C,G,C,F that other basses just can't handle that much low end and turn into mud.

The atk with thicker bluesteel strings had the perfect sound for my kyuss/tool/prog/fusion playing, but it required more stamina and strength than the jbass and musicman rippoffs I tried.

Now I'm thinking of giving an atk another go because I know I can get those beloved growling tones and crispy leads, but is there a bass that has a similiar sound to the atk but that has a slimmer neck?

On another note I also tried a Vintage emj96 jazz bass and was blown away with the sound and action for that price! Was wondering if anyone has tried to uppgrade the pickupps because the neck just felt great!?

So ibanez atk, vintage emj96 or any other suggestions?