Ibanez ATK owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jun 26, 2003.

1. I've had MAJOR GAS for one of these lil' critters lately. I'm hoping if I get enough money for my birthday I can by one of a TB here. I've heard that they sound like a musicman, and the neck is a little thick. Can someone give me their opinion/review of this bass, and post some sound samples?
  2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    brendans is nice

i would say solid bass for the scratch
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't know...

I played one at the store a week or so ago. It was the most unresonant, lifeless piece of wood I've played. I was very suprised, hearing the raves from people here. I was very unimpressed :meh:
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, the necks on the 4s are 45mm/1.75 inches (believe that's the " measurement), and a bit beefy, about like that of a P bass, in not slightly more beefy. And I do mean slightly. Still fast, though.

They kill the Ray sound, do a geat J (single coil, actually, so yoy still get some hum), and can imitate a P well enough for your P needs. The three band EQ is pretty powerful, and they are solid as a tank.

Most come with ash bodies, and weigh the same as a tank, but some (like mine) have an alder body, so it ends up being about as heavy as a standard Jazz bass, if not a bit more. Not uncomfortable at all.

Sorry that I don't have sound samples, but if you want a good reference, the guy from Lit, Kevin Baldes uses a stock ATK on all the recordings.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, dude, they're made by Ibanez. Quality control isn't their forte. Most of the ones I've played have been prime, but there have been a few stinkers.
  6. I always thought it was a Musicman
  7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    kills a 'ray?

but no... gets close but no.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Kill as in imitate rather closely, not one up them.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I have a USATK 5 string in transparent blue w/flame maple fingerbaord. Truely an awesome Stingray Clone. IMO it is a better 5 string ray than the actual 5 string ray is. Keep in mind that mine is a USA built model made by Bunker Guitars and features Dave Bunker's PBC floating neck technology. Closely rivals the tones I can get from my Lakland USA 55-94 w/basslines p-ups. It's truely impressive tone & playability wise. Only gripe is the lack of a good place to rest your thumb. It is the only bass, IMO, that Ibanez has ever sold that is worth a ****. But, that's just me.
  11. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    My 4-string ATK is a great bass. You can get some very good 'Ray-like tones out of it -- the EQ's pretty robust and makes the bass pretty tonally flexible (although overall it's on the bright side -- I roll the treble almost completely off).

I have the ash-bodied ATK and it is pretty heavy. By the end of practice my shoulder definitely feels it, but I think that's part of why I like it. My only other complaint is the output jack -- i just had to have it replaced (this is a common gripe, i think). Oh, and the neck is slightly beefy as well, but I like that.

So to recap: Very solid construction, very quiet/flexible electronics, thick neck, crappy output jack, killer on your left shoulder and...that's all i've got.

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've praised mine ad nauseum on this board. Simply put, I love mine. It is very versatile and is a GREAT funk bass.

The only thing that should really be mentioned is the fact that the stock output jacks are complete garbage. You WILL (not "might") have to replace it, as I had to do. Very small issue, though.

I like the neck. It's a bit thick, but not too much so. It suits me just fine, frankly. And it's heavy, but you'll get used to that eventually.

You should really consider Brendan's. $425.00 (shipped!) is actually a really good price for that bass - that's probably the nicest one I've seen and I'd buy it from him if I didn't already have one.

Ibanez has had its ups and downs over the years (and it looks like they are on their way back up with some of their new models), but the ATK is just a sick, sick bass.
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno if my output jack is stock or not, but it's a 92 (I think) and I've got no beef whatsoever whith the jack. No cracking, humming, shortings...it's fine.

14. well, I really want a 5 string ATK, and i saw one for sale here for 350.. i'm drooling.. sorry brendan
  15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The 5 string should be an Ash body, as mine is. Brendan's, being Alder, lacked that "bite" of the Stingray, to my ears. But his really is probably the best looking Ibanez I've ever played. The spacing on the 5 is pretty tight, but if you get past that, it's well worth the money. As Brendan said, the EQ on it is nice and strong. You've got to be pretty dang careful with that mid control. The input on mine comes loose all the time, but I think that's because the nut's getting stripped. I should probably throw in a new one, just to be on the safe side. The B-string isn't the most solid around, but it's damn good for anything in that price range. I don't think you'll find a better 5 for the money.
  16. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've seen couple of the new ATK-400's with the neck pup and all.. Wasn't that impressed though. Seems to be on similar level than the other Ibanez basses and the sound is "ok" rather than "excellent!". Perhaps if you would drop in some replacement pups..
  17. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Yeah, the ATK output jacks definitely aren't the best around, but I think they're ok for the money. I recently needed to replace mine, and my ATK was perhaps 5 years old at the time.
  18. Hey Buzzbass - interested in selling your USATK?
  19. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Not Especially, You wouldn't want to pay what I'd want. (at least $750, way over market value). I really love mine. I'd be happy to help you out with setups and stuff once you locate one. I think someone posted in another thread that there's one on e-bay now. Stick to your guns and wait for a true USA model. They are truely awesome. I'm thinking about getting another one and adding a J pickup in the neck position.