Ibanez ATK question...any owners or knowledgeable folk on?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazz Maverick, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Jazz Maverick

Jazz Maverick

Jan 26, 2009
    Alright fellas.

Im on the verge of purchasing an Ibanez ATK300 (the natural wood colour one) but am having a few last minute jitters.

I tried it out in a shop ages ago, but cant remember the sizing of it, and am having no luck finding out on the net. Is the body the same size (width/length/depth as a standard P-Bass type body? From what I remember it is but cant be sure.

Also what are the general feeling regarding this bass? It seemed great when i tried it out, and have read that it is crazy versatile (this is good since I play a mix of metal, punk and soft rock), any owners or music store clerks on here who know about this model? Thanks for any help!

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
  3. Jazz Maverick

Jazz Maverick

Jan 26, 2009
    Thanks mate. As you can see from my postcount, I am a noob and didnt know such a thread existed.

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    In my experience, the ATK's body feels a bit bigger than that of a P bass, but has a more elaborate shaping on the back. Me and my bandmates also didn't think it was that versatile, I was unable to get really deep lows out of it, even with the bass knob maxed. I guess this isn't that surprising given the ATK's pickup position. If you need a really deep sound, I'd recommend a bass with a neck pickup instead.

I'm talking about an old ATK 300 from the late 90s, by the way.

5. Although I love my ATK I also have a P bass and J bass for when I need a different tone depending on the situation. They are all different animals and have their own unique sounds. The body would be closer to a StingRay than a P in shape but the lower portion of the ATK is slightly smaller than that of the 'Ray. The ATK's neck feels close to that of a modern Standard Precision.

The ATK actually has a pretty versatile and broad tonal range but the pickup is rather weak and I found the preamp to not be my cup of tea (as opposed to my SR400 preamp which seems well balanced). When the three EQ pots are set flat, the output is noticably less than a moderately hot passive MM without a preamp... I find no need to plug into the 'active' jack of my amp as the meter actually registers lower with the ATK than my passive P Bass.

6. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    it's an awesome bass for the money. it doesn't nail a P or a J, although similar vibes can be made with the EQ/pickup selector. It gets really close to a stingray IMO. The neck is P-ish, I would say and the body...dunno.
    it's a heavy beast, but I love mine

7. I think the sound is musicman-ish and the body fits snugly in a standard fender bass case, so I'm assuming it's relatively the same size as a P.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021