Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez ATK, should i get? please hurry! need toughts by end of weekend

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PollyBass, May 31, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey all. ok, heres the story. i deside i want some clanky midrange, so i deside to save up for a Rickenbacker. i do want one, but i walked into a used guitar shop, (they had about three basses) but one was this near mint, VERY near mint, Ibanez ATK 300( we tryed to find out the year, seems it's either a 95, or an 85,,, or something like that. looks like an 80's model.). In a natural finish, and it still had that "learn the conrtols plastic thingy" around the knobs. look like the neck had a little sprucing up, but other than that, it looks, and sounds great. the only thing is i didnt get a chance to play it thru my amp, and it has alot of EQ, so i don't really know if it has alot of midrange or not.... so... does it? i mean, i'm not a REAL big fan of MM Sound, but i just want a heck of alot of it. and he's asking 350 with the case for it.... what do you guys think? how rare are these things anyway? I have no clue about these basses, i have heard of them, but that was the first time i had played one. thanks.

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    the ATKs are wonderful basses.

I own a USA ATK 5er. you can check and see if this bass is a USA model by looking at the fretboard. if there are double black dots all the way up, its USA. there would also be a flame maple fingerboard, and a quilted maple headstock overlay. The main difference between the 300 or 305 and the USA 4 and 5 is the tension free neck. my bass has the tension free neck, and although it does add some serious beef to the tone (and the weight), it is a pain in the arse to adjust. its almost impossible. for this reason, i would not suggest buying the bass without a careful inspection of the neck. it it is a USA bass with the tension free neck, fear not, just make sure the neck is good (as its unlikely to ever want to move from its current setting) if not, then the bass will have a standard truss rod adjustable neck (preferable in my opinion)

any of the ATKs are excellent basses. I use mine for a lot of slap (gets the MM sound easily) and also for fingerstyle aggressive rock. The bass also sounds great with a pick (though i rarely use one, im not very good with a pick) and with chords and multiple plucking fingers. the ATKs are heavy, especially the USA models. this extra weight does however give it a very meaty tone. absolutly huge. defenily has a lot of mids, though they can be turned down with the on board eq (3 band, very finctional) I like the string spacing and the feel of the bass quite a bit. its very comfortable to play. mine is rather neck heavy though (USA models only i think) The bass has been called a "poor mans stingray" and for a good reason. although honestly, i think the ATK looks better, and i prefer it due to the added versatility of the triple coil pickup and the coil selector. Take a good look at all the hardware. these things are built like tanks. huge chromed bridge, and large open style tuners. the USAs also have a brass nut. 5 bolt neck joint. From what i can tell, these basses are made to last, and are a great buy.

I paid $450 for my used (in near mind cond.) USA ATK 5 without a case. it is however a factory second. my neck is a little messed up and difficult to adjust. apparently on properly funtioning basses this isnt a problem.

$350 for a new ATK 300 with a case sounds like a good deal to me, and if i were looking for a 4 string bass, i would not hesitate a moment.

i hope this helps you out, feel free to IM or email me if you have any more questions.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Go to this thread Ibanez ATK

4. Polly, the ATK is one of the best basses Ibanez ever made. It is a lot of fun to play, and has a very good pickup and preamp in it. Go for it.
    BTW, I thought you were keen on Spectors? Personally, I'd rather have the ATK than a Spector, anyday!

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I came across an ATK a little while ago, and had the same questions. These folks were VERY helpful, and I'm picking it up Monday. Here's the thread:
    Ibanez ATK

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Thats the one.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    About that spector. Sweet goodness it's next on the list. i cahnged recently from playing in a band that would sound awesome with that "Spector tone"
    To one thats a litte more metal based. i think the mids i could get from the rick are nice for this band i'm in. i still want my Czech made neck thru green spector......... Man,,,, maybe i should just MAKE this band work with a spector. But i was sorta looking for something to hold me over till i can get the rick (or spector). Spectors sound like the grace of god, and ricks sound like cerbus the three headed dog that guards the gates of hell. I still want the grace of god sound. but this band is more like the hell dog thing.

PS: by the way, it was a korean made ATK. Think i should get it , or save up for the rick? (or spector:D )

8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    go get that ATK. if i had another $350 to spare id pick it up in a second (even tho i already have the USA 5er)!!

ive played spectors. rics are just too "fugly" for my tastes. i prefer the ATK over the spectors. just my style.

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh no guys,,, a tool concert is coming to town...................... My favorite band.....ibanez ATK.....My favorite band.....ibanez ATK........ jeez..... life sucks.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Looks like due to things beyond my control, i AM getting an 85 Korean Ibanez ATK 300 in a natrual finish and a case for 350$ No tool.... i just,,, ,can't.....belive it......

11. The analogy to end all analogies.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Really? i gotta write that down....

But, no one has commented on it's midrange, can i get alot of it from this thing? i mean, it is a bridge humbucker, but that doesnt mean much if the pick up is crap. Does it have a buttload of midrange? can i get more mids out of this than say,,, my p-bass? MORE QUESTIONS, Ive never had an active bass before, is the korean made 300 atk and active bass? if it is, wheres the battery? in the cavity? They say theirs a trim pot for gain, why can't i just crank the thing for max output to the pickup? is that bad? I wasent getting alot of midrange when i played it, probly because the battery was dead, and the guy said it wasent an active bass. but if it is, a battery would do wonders....

EDIT: Oops, looks like i can't read. someone DID say they have alot of midrange..... anyone else want to back it up? I called the guy (PG Guitars, awesome used gear) "Dwight" and he said he would hold it........ it's all mine baby.........

13. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    yeah, the 300 is active. the battery is located in the control cavity, accessable by the plastic cover on the back of the bass. the cover might be split into two pieces (mine is) in which case the battery is right underneath the smaller one. the controls consist of: bass, middle, treble, volume, and pickup wiring selector switch. there is a trim pot in the control cavity. if you want a "hotter" sound, turn it up. im not sure what turning it all the way up will do, ive never done it... but i have a feeling that it may overload the preamp in your head. (some heads have a "gain" control to compensate for the signal sent to the head, this trim pot does basically the same thing, as far as im aware. cranking it will probably cause distortion.) the preamp in the ATK is of good quality, defenitly not a P.O.S. the pickup is also excellend in my opinion. i would never replace either. you can get a TON of mids from the bass. try the bass in the store with a head set flat, and mess with the preamp. i think you will like what you hear. defenitly try a new battery. when i bought mine (N.O.S.) the battery was some no-name thing. (probably the original battery) and the bass had no balls. put in a brand new copper-top and the thing came to life like no other.

congrats on what is a great bass. you can see tool some other time, theyre not a one-hit wonder, and will be around for a while im sure. the bass is worth it, trust me. best of luck with it.

14. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Old ATK's are great made bass !
    Nice sound & tought bass !

Go ahead ( try to get it at 300 )!

15. Dude, that sounds like a killer deal. I myself haven't been able to play an ATK yet:( , but I've heard nothing but good reviews about them. Have fun with it and don't let your fingers bleed...too much.

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I;m getting it tomorrow. let you guys know how it plays when i get it home. I already saw tool, but everyone else hasent, they think i'm nuts, because i play them all the time, and i'm not going to go to their concert.......... maybe i can get enough money by the time the tickets go on sale.... I'm gonna try a new battery, and see what happens.

17. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    More pictures I say! :rolleyes: This should give ya' some idea what
    that 5-way switch is doin'.

(broke down the animated GIF at the ishibashi site :D )

[​IMG]

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I think the ATK 300, In the year i'm getting, only has a 3 way switch, no single coil at the neck.

19. well?...didja get it?

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Funny story, the shop is evidently closed on mondays. but i didnt know, so sue me, guess it will be tomorrow before I can get it. But i will let you guys know tomorrow what it sounds like. Now i'm really getting hyper about the whole thing....