1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez ATK, should i get? please hurry! need toughts by end of weekend

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PollyBass, May 31, 2002.

1. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    d'oh! oops :p So maybe the last three frames then? :D

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    yeah, thanks for them anyway, i just took the single coil out of the picture. I keep liking this bass more and more, LET TOMORROW COME AT GOD SPEED! I'm going as early as they open, its been there for months, but the day i try to get it,, i know something is gonna happen.......

3. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I totally agree with SRSiegel - the ATK is a great bass. The construction is top notch, and the pickup and electronics are great. I'm not sure why people would want to replace them. They sound great.

I, among others, thought that the switch on the ATK300 was a series, parallel, single coils switch, but it's actually a series, single coil with treble boost, single coil switch (according to customer support at Ibanez). Either way, the bass gets great tones and it's super fun to play. I find myself reaching for it all the time.

I am, howver, having issues with poor battery life. (posted in a different topic).

-Shin

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    For real? weird. So is the same single coil used in both switch positions? Why on earth would they just make a switch postion that is just the single coil but with a treble kick? Whats the best for midrange, i'm guessing series? Sorry if these questions sound dumb, but ive been a fender p-bass man my whole life, and never had such "Switchs" and "Knobs" and "Activeness":p

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok my final post before go time...... i'm scared...... hold me........ Just trying to see if someone has any other thoughts on the bass before i go to sleep, and get my bass.... i mean,,, after i sleep.

6. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I'm not sure why the engineers decided to make the switching the way it is, but perhaps the parallel mode sounded thin.

The ATK is super bright - maybe they wanted to accentuate that aspect of the tone.

Either way, there are a lot of great sounds in this bass. Battery drain or not, I just put a new Duracell in my ATK 300, and the tone is great.

Good luck with your new bass!
    -Shin

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Holy shiz i think i crapped my pants. This thing has got to be one of the best basses i have ever had the plesure of playing. i mean, ive played stingrays, and they don't sound (to me) as good as this thing This thing is one mean rock bass. you can make it sound nasal and nasty, or clean and big, THE THING IS JUST BAD. Besides some fret wear, some finsih messes here and there, the thing is great. gonna get some new strings and string it thru body,,,, if it has even more sustain than it does NOW,,,,,,My god, that will be awesome. I came home and played the thing 2 hours strait, never put it down. And talk about a fast neck! the thing plays like dream. but it is heavy after a while, i mean, it FEELS light, but when you put the thing on, it gets heavy quick. But i don't care, the tone makes up for it, and unlike my p-basses, the tone shines! i knwo that sounds weird, but thats one thing i noticed about this bass. I ask everyone to find a used ATK before they go get a sting ray, at least try it out, sounds like, and has more tone varity. Thanks for all yous guys help. The thing even had the recipt from when the guy bought the thing! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonning to go play the hell out of it.:D

8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    congrats man! im glad you like it. the ATKs defenilty have a great tone IMO. it sounds like you got a pretty good deal on it too.

now before i waste any more of youre time, get as far away from your computer as you can and....

SLAP THAT THING!!

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    SLAP? Oh ya did i forget to mention the GOD-LIKE SLAP TONE? SWEET JESUS!

10. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Congrats on your new ATK! I'm sure that you'll be happy with it. I'm still surprised at how much I like mine.

The slap tone *is* killer, and aggressive tones just seem to flow out of this bass. It's also nice for mellower sounds with some of the treble rolled off. It's pretty versatile.

Let me know if your battery drains quickly... he he he...

-Shin

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Will do, he put a freash one in this morning, so i'll let you know how long it lasts. I'm surprised at how more and more i like this thing. and for 300 bucks, i can't belive i'm getting these tones.

12. Congrats man! Rock the masses with that beast!!!

It's good that someone has a bass they'll be happy with...unlike me.:rolleyes: (P.S.-My bass is a Washburn XB-200...ARGG!)