Ibanez ATK user, come on!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jun 27, 2002.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i just find an Atk first version made in japan and single triple bucker piskup. finished in sunburst, great condition and it lists for 250$ only. i just want to hear from the guys here who uses these basses why do they like it.

share your comments on old and new ATK!

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Allodox will be here shortly...

Funny, these basses seem to be making a comeback...
  3. Reporting for duty, sir :D

b.t.w. barosso..

http://www.allodox.nl/graphics/allo.jpg ( BIG foto )... colour look familiar ? :D

what i like about the ATK ?

- good looking
    - EXTREMELY punchy
    - very long sustain
    - body-thru stringing ( even MORE sustain :D :D )
    - good EQ ( but don't touch that MID controll too much )
    - 3-way switch ( parallel, serial, single )
    - can sounds like a J-bass, Stingray and even like FiElDy ( in fact..fieldy HAS an ATK305 :eek: )
    - kick arsssssss

aye.. it's rather big ( a tad bigger than a J-bass ) and a little weighty, but the load pays of in the sound.
  4. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    knew we could count on allodox. mention ibanez and he's all over it...
  5. LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    Just got a used ATK 300. Very good bass for the price. I love the neck on this bass. All around solid bass. Nice growl and slap tone.:cool:
  6. ive had my ATK 300 for a year now. i love it. it looks mean and it sounds mean. huge sustain and really punchy, im gonna keep it until i can afford a stingray or a vintage fender jazz and that wont be for a very long time. :)
  7. mostho

Aug 23, 2002
    You cannot believe how good is the ATK bass... It sometimes sounds like a MusicMan or like Pbass... but at lowest price.

Good rock, funky and more tones. incredible triple coil!! big punch, lot of sustain, big bottom.
    Big tones with picking!! Sound loud.
    Very nice for it's cost.
    The neck is born to make slap i suppose butit's one of the weakest points: you cannot rise a low action...

Btw I own a ATK 305 ash top from the very first series, and it sounds better every day that i Sound It.

BTW now I have also a G&L L.2500 and I use it for training...
  8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ATK all the way baby, now i just want a 5er to fool with. can't find one,, hard to find these puppys no?

Amazing bass. tens times punchyer than a MM. and more tones than one to. just a killer bass.
  9. RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    I know Mark White from the Spin Doctors used one, well i seen him use one on Woodstock 94, and it sounded killer!
  10. mr.hankey

Dec 24, 2002
    I just got an ATK-305 over here in Holland, and I LOVE it! Great sound, pretty low output though. I twiddled a bit with a small pot-thingy on the circuitboard, that seems to boost the pre-amp gain.

Anyway....for the price I think this bass is killer, and I played every bass under 1000 euro's in about 10 different shops....
    Compared to most other 5-string basses I've played this one had a really tight B, not floppy at all.

Of course it has to fit your style, I mean, I wouldn't really think of playing Jazz on this thing, my MIM J-bass does a much better job at that (inho), but apart from jazz I'd use this baby for everything!

O yeah, before I forget: this thing is HUGE and heavy! I'm 2 meters and 3 cm tall (that's about 6"8 I think) and this thing still looks kinda big on me :D I like it though. The neck is pretty wide too, but I like that aswell, my hands are pretty big so I can use the extra wood (no pun intended :cool: )
  11. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I have a love-hate relationship with my ATK -- ATK 300 users reprazent!!! -- on the one hand, I hate the way it looks, and on the other hand, I simply adore its tone. The ATK has got to be the best StingRay clone ever; I doubt any other bass offers more bang for the buck. I really wonder why Ibanez stopped making them given that they were so successful. I haven't tried the new models yet, but I doubt I'd like them, as I'm not exactly a big fan of mahogany as a bass body wood.
  12. mr.hankey

Dec 24, 2002
    The new 405 is no where NEAR the 305 when it comes to tone! The extra bridge pup isn't enough to make up for the (imho) bad choice of wood.
    Despite the lack of the extra bridge pup the ATK305 is still priced a lot higher than the new 405, at least at the better shops here in The Netherlands.
    The ATK-405 models that are imported here are all "made in Korea" jobs, and I really, really, REALLY don't think that those suckers are crafted as well as the Japan models. I have yet to play a "made in Korea" ATK that doesn't have sloppy fretwork (but that could just be my experience, let me know if I'm wrong).

I love my 305, but I'd never get a 405!
    (and I don't really like the looks of the 405, but that's me)
  13. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
  14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    GET THIS MAN A 305!!!! DAMNIT! STAT!!!!!
  15. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco

I'm totally with you on this one - but the looks of my ATK 300 have been growing on me. I like it a lot more without the pickguard on it. Is it me, or does Ibanez come up with some UUUUGLY pickguard designs?

The tone is unbelieveable for such a cheap bass though.

I also found the output a bit low, and I turned up the gain with the internal trim pot.

That ATK posted at the top of the thread has a super nice finish. I haven't seen one in that color. Mine is a more traditional tobacco burst.

It really has a great range of tones, but I can't get a Jazz bass on bridge pickup sound out of mine. It's ok, though, the other sounds are all very useable. I had turned the pickup around at one point to try to get the single coil closer to the bridge, but I found that I liked the original sound better, so I put it back. I also cut a small piece of neoprene (mousepad) and stuck it under the pickup to increase the gain a bit and to give my thumb a better anchor.

Oh, and mine eats batteries about every 6 weeks or so.
  16. mr.hankey

Dec 24, 2002

Hmmm, mine go way longer than 6 weeks...

Are you sure you always unplug your ATK when you're not playing her?

(hmm, that last line sounds like something from a gangsta' rap song :D )
  17. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Lets play.. 'Who wants to Sell Theirs to Me'
    lol.. I can't find a 305 anywhere
  18. mr.hankey

Dec 24, 2002
    over here in Holland you can still find quite a few of them...