Ibanez ATK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mofomage, Jun 28, 2005.

1. mofomage

Jun 18, 2005
    For those of you who don't know it, it's a discontinued model and is better than most Ibanez's. It has a tripple coil active pickup in the middle of a large metal tailpeice, which not only looks boss but has lots of sound possibilities and sounds great on recordings i've heard. My all time bass hero Scott Reeder (Kyuss, Unida) plays an ATK, along with fellow bass heros of mine Mike Dean (COC) and Brad Davis (Fu Manchu). So i was wondering if anyone here has one and what they think of it? I can't find one in any stores so i have no idea how they play. I know it's kinda farfetched but i figured if theres anywhere to see about it, it would be here.
  2. Dont forget to mention The Offspring's bassist!
  3. There's been PLENTY of discussion about them here. Have a search of the threads.

ATK's ROCK!
  4. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I love my Korean made, 5-string ATK-305!! Lots of growl and low end.

Do a search, you will find a lot!!
  5. Great basses, real punchy sound!!!

They pop out on ebay every once in awhile. check it out...
  6. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The thing I like best about mine is the neck. It sits really comfortably in my hand. Looks and tone are pretty good too.
  7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:Had a fretless ATK.
    Great bass, was stolen, never found another?
  8. *Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Paul Grey from Slipknot recently started playing one aswell with maple fretboard
  9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I have an extremely rare bird. A US made ATK 5 with a PBC tension free neck. The thing absolutely kicks ass. It's a better 5 string 'Ray than the one made by Ernie Ball.
  10. Paul Grey... straying form his Warwick Streamers... Oh no, what's this world coming to!?!?! :rolleyes:

Hopefully better music! :p

PS... Stone Sour kicks Slipknots a** anyday! :bassist:
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've owned two. One was a flame Koa topped ATK 500 (I believe rojo2112 or some such has it now). Sold that one a while ago, and sort of regretted it. Now I have an ATK 300, which is just the regular version without the fancy top, but it sounds just as good.

I enjoy them because they have a 1.75" nut and a thicker neck, both of which I look for in 4 string.
  12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I passed on one a few years back...I could kick myself. Dave Bunker actually features the Ibanez ATK on his website homepage.

13. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I own 3 of them. Owned 4 but I had 2 identical ATK 305's and that was overkill, IMO so I sold one.

They are amazing. i wrote a review thread a few months ago and compared them to EBMM Stingrays. I like the ATK's better, so I have 3 of them and only 1 stingray. LOL

ATK's certainly were after the stingray concept but many of Ibanez' designs to accomplish the sound were far better auch as the bridge and the triple coil PU.

I have 2 ATK 4's - an ATK500 (MIJ with KOA top) and an ATK100 (passive and unlike most other ATK's, very light weight). I am thinking of parting with my ATK100 which is in dead mint condition so if you are interested, PM me. They are even lower in price than the ATK300's...
  14. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I had the pleasure of recording a bassist with an ATK500 Koa top a couple years back... liked it so much i made an offer to buy it, which he refused. He still has it, and until yesterday, i still wanted it (just got a '78 MM Sabre which i LOVE) :D
  15. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    You are killing me. The Sabre has been on my wish list for the last 13 years. Where did you get yours?

And yeah, the ATK500 is amazing. I think Ibanez put crack in that aprticular model caue it feels way different than the 300 which is essentially the same design but with slightly different woods. The action on mine is so low the bass plays itself. Go figure...
  16. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Lark Street Music in Teaneck NJ... great little vintage/boutique shop, not much for bassists though. I had never even heard of a Sabre til i saw it last week... in fact, i hadn't even planned to buy a Musicman at all. Just fell in love with this one, now i'm hooked. Here's a pic:

Attached Files:

17. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I have an Ibanez EDC710. It's kinda like a ATK remake. It has the same pickup, but has a 2 band EQ and luthite body. Pretty cool.
    I know Eric Czar of Joe Bonamassa plays them (like, three of them.)
  18. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Mine is a twin to the blue one pictured. If I could find another, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Actually spoke to Dave on the phone a few times. He was very helpful in restoring the used one I bought. He even sent me some old parts he had laying around. He's going to re-fin the body for me, when I get some cash. The blue has faded to a turqouise color in certain spots. It was a known problem with the blue ones especially. We jokingly refered to it as the "factory mood ring" finish in our coneversations. All I can say is , if you have a chance to buy the PBC necked model, DO IT ! Last time we spoke, Dave said he had enough old parts laying around to do a few new ones, I still may go that route in the future. I'd just have him add a J p-up to it, so I have someplace to rest my thumb. Lack of a good thumb anchor spot is the ONLY gripe I could ever have about that bass.
  19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I actually have a bona fide headless PBC 5 banger which incorporates the same tension free neck. I'm replacing some of the hardware which is in worn condition. Dave Bunker uses cap screws, 6/32" X 1 1/4" for mounting pickups and bridge saddle height adjustment. Try finding those in your run-of-the-mill hardware store!

20. I currently own a natural ATK-305 and I used to own a natural ATK-300. They're really great basses at a low price. Some people say they are a bit heavy but I never found them to be uncomfortable.
    Another nice addition, I have played my ATK-300 for about a year and when I first played the 305 it just felt great, didn't need any time getting familiar with the B-string. In my opinion that shows how comfortable they are to play.