1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez ATK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stupid Jerk, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Stupid Jerk

Stupid Jerk

Aug 1, 2006
    I frequently hear them mentioned, but I can't find them on Ibanez's website.

Does Ibanez not make them anymore? What's the deal? I keep hearing all this cool stuff about them.

:confused:

2. They've been discontinued for about 4 or 5 years now.

They are really really really nice basses, and you can get them fairly cheap on ebay :)

atk_whole.

atk_body.

3. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    The original run of the 100, 300, 500, and USA series ended about 10 years ago ... the 400 series with the added pickup was still available after that.

:) ... You see them in Ebay now and again ... usually for great prices!

4. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    I haven't played one of these, but I really like the sound and I have been thinking of getting an ATK300 to nail the sounds I can't get out of my AGB140 but how much do you think they are really worth? You do see them on ebay every so often but I'm never sure what is a reasonable price to pay for one. Does the ATK500 sound better than the 300 and is it any different to play?

5. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I just bought one, overpaid, and still consider it one of the best musical finds of my life. Expect to pay between $200-$300 for a ATK300-ATK500 in good shape. The ATK 100 is passive so expect them to go for less
    The ATK500 is a 5 string

6. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    I suppose that's a recommendation then! Thanks for the info. I might blow my next dose of student loan on another Ibanez and a new amp...

7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    An Ibanez w/ Maple Fretboard?! :eek:
    I want one!

8. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Damn you guys - you've given me a bad case of GAS and so soon after getting a new Ibanez I'm craving another! It wasn't helped by that beautiful ATK in the Ibanez Owners thread either...this one

9. you guys are making my anticipation go nuts! I've got me a USATK coming this week!!
    *checks fedex tracking again*

[​IMG]

ICAN'TWAIT!!!:crying:

10. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    [​IMG]
    :D

11. Me too...

12. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Actually the ATK 500 is from Japan with a Koa wood top and clear pickguard...

:D ... A 5 on the end number is a 5 string ... ATK 305 etc:

13. I had one for a bit. It had 2 pickups and no scratchplate. The Ferrules couldn't accomodate Rotosounds. It sounded very thin. I sold it.

Great neck though.

14. Get a USATK if you can find one. You'll never find a better Musicman "copy". The necks are fantastic, thunderous tone ranging from a crunchy Precision fingerstyle to a slapped maple neck Stingray.
    I've played about 40 gigs with mine in the last four months. I get better comments about my tone now than when I was using a Modulus.

15. Stupid Jerk

Stupid Jerk

Aug 1, 2006
    Ibanez stock pickups are often crap. Did the ATK have good pups/electronics? I imagine ya ain't gonna find aftermarket replacements too easy! :crying:

16. /subscribes/

17. Erm, well the ones in my 400 arent crap for a start, they are pretty comparable to my new MM Stringray HH's bridge pickup!

18. They were very good, and they're still standard parts in the Ibanez parts catalogue, so no problems there. :)

19. Stupid Jerk

Stupid Jerk

Aug 1, 2006
    What's the neck like? I have small hands, so I always have to ask. I keep hearing that the neck is beefier than the usual Ibanez neck.

Let me put it this way: I find a J-bass neck uncomfortable.

I've hoisted a StingRay a few times... and it was slightly more comfortable than the J-bass, but not by much. I understand the Sterling is much nicer for dudes with hands like mine.

So is the neck on the ATK closer to the StingRay or the Sterling?