Ibanez ATK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, May 15, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm looking at an Ibanez ATK 305. It's a 5er with a Maple neck + fingerboard. It's in pretty good condition, but it does have some dings and scratches.
    Any opinions on this bass, or the ATKs in general? Is $250 reasonable for this bass with a OHSC?
  2. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    What's up with the headstock on those things? Weird!
  3. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    ime, that's a pretty good price, especially for a 5er
  4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    good price for that bass!
  5. That's a good price if the bass is in good condition. I have couple of ATKs*, and they're nice basses - somewhat heavy but great tone, especially when strung through-the-body - and for that price, great value!

Good Luck!

- Wil

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    If your into the sound of the Stingray.you cant go wrong,plus its has more tonal variations than the Stingray.the ATK is a very descent instrument one of Ibanez's better basses,a model that they dont make anymore. for its price when it first came out wasn't bad either, so to get one that may be in ec to good condition is even better and its a 5.sounds like a rare deal.
  7. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hey all. Thanks for your replies and for sharing your opinions!
    The store is willing to do $250 out the door, with the OHSC, an extra set of straplocks, and an extra set of DRs. Good deal?:D
    Any more opinions would be great, but my mind is pretty much made up. And this won't put off my DP deposit to much!:D
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As long as the neck is OK, that is a great deal!

A local store has a NOS 305 that I have my eye on, just no money right now!:(
  9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    $350 sounds quite nice, the local store here has had 305 for ages now, but it's around $800. This is in Europe, tho.
  10. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i wish my local store had a nos atk305. i've wanted to get a hold of one for some time now. you lucky, lucky man...
  11. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    thats a very good price on a great bass IMO. ive got a USA 5er, really great tone. ive had some serious issues with the tension free neck though... and would advise passing on a tension free model if one comes up, (unless it has perfect action when you play it, its not adjustable much at all)
  12. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Sounds like a good deal to me.
  13. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    What is this about a tension free neck? Did they actually make some of these without Truss Rods or something?:eek: If that's the case, this one does have a truss rod. The action and setup is fairly well, but could be a bit better.
  14. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    heh. yeah the tension free neck is a screwy thing. if it works properly i would guess its great. but if its messed up, the adjustabilty is minimal. I have yet to meet someone who claims to be able to set up a tension free neck.

the tension free neck is only on the USA made ATKs. they are distinguishable from the 305s and the 300s by double black dots instead od single all the way up he fretboard. also the fingerboard is flamed maple, the headstock has a quilted maple veneer, and there is no truss rod, hence no truss rod cover.

instead of a truss rod, there is a 3/8" square steel bar that runs the entire length of the neck. the idea is to keep all of the tension from the strings off the wood. ideally the bar would bend minimally, just the perfect amount to get a good relief. however, mine is bent too far, and has too much relief. the only way to adjust this is to take the neck off, take the headstock off. (yes it comes off, along with the bar like a sword out of a scabbard, leaving a hollow wooden shell that is the neck/fingerboard) and bend the rod by hand. as you can imagine this is difficult to do. the only success i have had adjusting it is to hang about 50 lbs. at the center of the neck, and lay the neck across two chairs. crude, but it worked. supposedly the benefit of not having the tension on the wood was to eliminate dead spots and have a more even response across the fingerboard. the tone is great, very meaty and has a tone of bite and growl, but the bass is also very neck heavy (think steel bar running the entire length of the neck)

all this information however, really doesnt matter. as it sounds like youve got your hands on a korean made bass. nothing wrong with that, in fact, most of the time i wish mine was made in horea.

for more information on the tension free design, seek out dave bunker, or bunker guitars. (theres a web site, search for it)

hope this helps
  15. jbbass

jbbass Guest

Apr 4, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Be careful. A friend of mine had a lefty 4-string ATK. It was sold to him with the nut around the wrong way (ie right handed config) and the series/parallel switch incorrectly wired, so it did nothing! Bodgy quality control and shame on The Bassplayer, Sydney for letting something like that out the door!
  16. barroso

Aug 16, 2000

the ATK is not discontinued. it's not imported in the USA, but it's available elsewhere, in Europe for example. now it's korean made and it has a jazz style pickups in neck for more tonal variation.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Thanks for the info your right.