Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez ATK1000C...and Musician's Friend

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jordan Luff, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Just yesterday, I received my Ibanez ATK1000C hardshell case from Musician's Friend. This case is supposedly MADE to hold and protect the Ibanez BTB and EDC models. As I overjoyously brought my BTB405 downstairs and opened up the case, I immediately began to worry if it was too small (from side to side). I laid my bass down in it...only for it not to fit!
    However, it fit perfectly from side to side. It was from the higher horn down to the bottom of the bass that wouldn't fit! Also, the small little compartment underneath the neck was too high! I began to panic, then groan in a pitiful fit of sorrow and anger.
    I then called Musician's Friend, and the nice guy on the phone set up a return for me, all while apologizing for the incident.
    I'm assuming this was merely a faulty case from Ibanez...but I'm still worried. I'm planning on ordering another one (before I drop off the current one at the UPS center), but I want your guys' opinions first. Should I try to find a different case that will fit the BTB, or order another ATK1000 in hopes of it not being another fluke?
    Discuss. ;)

2. do what i did..

1) buy an universal fit-all case

2) put a large piece of rather firm foamrubber in it, so that it fits in pretty tight ( cut to fit )

3) take the foam out, and place your bass on top of it

4) trace the edges of your bass

5) cut the foam to size

6) put some cloth over the foam and attach it firmly with some needle and thread THRU the foam.

7) put the foam/cloth package in your case

VOILLA.. custom-fit case for your bass :)

3. b.t.w. it supprises me how they advertise with a case for the BTB and EDC.. the EDC's body is way smaller than the BTB's.. and the case is called ATK1000 ? woah ! the ATK is way bigger than the BTB..

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I would think a case witht he designation "ATK" would have been made for the Ibanez ATK model.

Just a leap of imagination. Or MF has a bunch of blithering idiots in their employ.

No offense, Oddentity.:)

5. I was thinking the same thing about ATK and all...but the Musician's Friend website and the Ibanez website both say that it is made specifically for the BTB and EDC models. Ugh, this looks like this could get dirty... :mad:

MF link:
    Ibanez ATK1000C
    Ibanez link:
    Ibanez Cases & Bags

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    A BTB405 fits perfectly in an SKB-44..... If I had a dig camera here, I would show you. I also tried the Ibanez case they said would fit the BTB.... you could press the edges, and get the bass to fit, but a little to snug for me! So for giggles I tried the SKB, and voila! worked perfectly...

P@

7. Kelly: Are you sure about that? From what Musician's Friend says, the interior molding looks like it would only fit a P or J style bass.

Link: SKB-44

Because you personally know, I'll order one. Hopefully, it will fit good. If not...here we go again. :p

If worst comes to worst, I'll take your advice, AllodoX, and make one myself...but it sounds like it could be a serious pain in the ass...trying to trace out and cut the foam properly, anyway.

Keep those suggestions coming!

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Yes... there is a little room for it to slide around (very little) but once the case is closed it apears very snug... If I had a digital camera, I would snap a photo for you! I may be able to get a hold of one this weekend if you would like...

P@

9. Thanks, but hopefully, my dad is taking me out today to Mars and GC. I'm going to bring my BTB, and if they are carrying the case in the store, will fit it in for myself.
    Thanks for the suggestion, looks like it's going to work out very well! :) Plus, it also looks like I may get a few bucks back. Thanks a ton, Kelly.

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    great! glad to help!

P@