1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Ibanez ATK300 - 1995 - PRICE DROP - $350 Shipped

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Dub56, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Price:
    Strings:
    Up for sale is an Ibanez ATK300 from 1995 in Sunburst w/ black pickguard and maple neck. I believe it was built at the Cort facility in Korea, per the serial number.

This bass plays and sounds great. Extremely solid bass. I have owned many basses over the years (most of which were at price points well above this one), and I have kept this one around as a lot of those have come and gone. This thing just works, and I like the 'mojo' and looks of it. I've owned several Stingrays, and this Ibanez does a great job with that type of tone. It also has more versatility to it with the pickup switching options. I've always felt this is one of the best basses you could possibly get at this price point. I personally feel this bass is completely giggable, solid, pro quality for $350.

The bass has a bit of wear to it on the finish in one specific spot, but I personally really like the way it looks. I believe the noticeable spot on the body finish was "relic'd" intentionally by the previous owner. It has been years since I bought it, but I do vaguely remember hearing that. They seemed to do a good job! No idea how they did it, but it looks good to me. The finish is in good shape otherwise, the only other significant thing is a spot where it looks like a thumb rest was once installed.

Bass weighs in at ~9.65 lbs (see attached picture on scale). I've seen some of these ATKs get up into 11-12lbs+, so this one is pretty reasonable (IMO, YMMV)

PRICE DROP — $350 SHIPPED
    PayPal or Venmo for payment
    Ships in a gig bag
    ONLY trade would be for a Darkglass B7K Ultra. V1 + cash or maybe straight trade for a V2.

Attach82719_20180731_201822_1.
    Attach82715_20180731_201633.
    Attach82716_20180731_201716.
    Attach82717_20180731_201743.
    Attach82718_20180731_201801.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  2. I had one of those a few years ago...I should have kept it

3. asands

asands Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Troy Missouri
    What’s the neck like on this? Thick or thin? C shape ?

4. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    I'm honestly not the best with the shapes, but seems like a pretty conventional neck profile to me. I've always found it comfortable, it's not as thin as my jazz bass, but not bulky either. I tried doing some searching online but couldn't find the exact specs for the neck shape/profile except for newer ATK models. Not sure if those might be the same neck profile as this one?

Sorry I don't have a better answer there, hope that was at least somewhat helpful!

5. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    These are terrific basses for the money. Had a fretless version of this bass a few years back and played it everywhere.

Memory serves me the neck profile is very similar to the Music Man Sting Ray....someone please correct me if I am wrong....and the sound they produce is also very 'Ray like.

Only reason I let mine go was that it weighed in at about 12.5 pounds and as I was getting older it was just too heavy for long shows.

Others I've run across have been similar in feel and sound to the one I owned. All real workhorses.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Dub56 likes this.
  6. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    I have decided that I am going to keep this bass after all. Going ahead and closing this thread.

Thanks all!

Joedog likes this.
  7. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Back on the block. Need to move a couple basses

8. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    how's the action? will it need a set up? fret condition?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  9. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    I've always thought the bass played really nicely, I've never had any issues with the action or neck. I like low action, pretty picky about it actually. The bass has always been stable for me, but it may need new strings or a setup to your taste. Nothing major, just tweaks, but I do that to pretty much any bass I buy when I get it

The bass is currently in Kansas with my dad (I was living in KS previously and recently moved across the country, and I left this bass behind with him rather than adding more things to the move). I haven't set it up since I moved, but it played nicely with low action before I did. Hope that helps!

10. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    thanks much.

11. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    You're welcome, hope that helps. It's a really nice playing bass, especially for the price point.

Also, apologies, I didn't see your edit about fret condition yesterday when I responded. There are no issues with fret condition to my knowledge at all

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  12. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    thanks.

13. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    seriously considering, but i need to move a bass first.
    (ain't that always just the way...)

Dub56 likes this.
  14. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Definitely understand, been there many times.

Also, here's a picture of the frets, if that helps!
    Attach82711_20180731_201500.

dogdays likes this.
  15. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    thanks a lot.

16. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Great bass for the money! I had almost the same bass, except it was a fiver. Look at some of Joe Bonamassa's earlier videos. Eric Czar played the snot out of one. Great tone! GLWTS!

Dub56 likes this.
  17. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Thank you! I agree, great tone on these basses. Surprisingly versatile too for a 1-pickup bass.

Also, I was trying to think of this video I had seen years ago of someone tearing it up on stage with an ATK like this. It may have been an early Joe Bonamassa video now that you mention it...

18. ghettoshelf

ghettoshelf Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Such underrated basses. I have one like this and a USA. Good luck on the sale!

Dub56 likes this.
  19. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Thank you very much!

Totally agree that these are very underrated basses. I haven't even played a USA model ATK before, but this one certainly always impressed me. I'd gladly keep it, but I need to downsize a couple.

20. Hudsobass

Hudsobass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    I met Joe B's bass player years ago after the show (must have been Eric Czar) and he raved about the 4 & 5 ATK 300's. He said he picks them up when ever he can. I wonder if he is still buying them up? You can't go wrong at this price. They are very solid instruments. I have owned an ATK 300, a 305 and a 700. Someone should grab this one!

Dub56 likes this.