Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez ATK300 fretless, can it be turn into passive??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by malabito, Jun 13, 2004.

1. I have an Ibanez ATK 300 which was defretted and turn into a fretless, it has an active preamp but not quite sure if the pickups are too, so would it be possible to add a switch on the bass so I can turn it from active to passive anytime. Would I get a much warmer sound in passive mode, or the difference wont be that big. I been thinking of adding one of those potentiometers which you can pull or push, so I dont have to make any holes in the bass, if it is possible doing the modification.

Thanks very much for yor replies.
    :)

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The mod you're suggesting should be possible, but the difference might not be too great.

3. Thanks for the reply JMX, I guess doing that mod wont be that hard and if I dont like it, I can always return it to how it was originally. Any adivce on doing the mod? I am studying electronic engineering at university, so I know a thing or two about electronics, but never have deal with electronics on my basses. Would it be better to pay someone to do it, or could it be easily done by myself ?.

thanks.