1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez ATK300, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dupe, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Dupe

Dupe

Dec 31, 2018
    Spain
    Hello everyone! First time posting here, sorry if I do something wrong. Also, English is not my mother tongue so I may have some mistakes in my writing.

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting a new bass (I've benn playing my first bass, a Squier affinity P-bass for 3 years now) and the other day I found an Ibanez ATK300 in a store for 309€ (like 345$). I don't know if it's really worth the money, so it would be really helpful if someone who has had this bass (or a similar model) could tell me their experience and that stuff.

Thank you!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Those are nice basses, there's kind of a small "cult following" on here. Whether that's a good price, I'm not sure, but sounds promising. I'm sure others who know more will reply shortly.

3. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    WhIch ATK exactly is it? Some basic info is needed, for example when and where was it manufactured etc.

Meanwhile, you can find a lot of useful advice here:

Official ATK Club (Part 4)

bholder likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey sorry I missed you when you joined. Welcome to TalkBass!!!

Those are cool basses. Did you buy it back then?

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    For that price..I say yes...great basses....But not the sound if you want a Fender tone

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, not sure how I'd describe the typical ATK tone - closer to a MM Stingray than a Fender, but my impression is "meatier" than a Stingray, somehow. It's a good sound from what I've heard. Don't have one myself though.

7. Dupe

Dupe

Dec 31, 2018
    Spain
    The only thing I know is that is an ATK300, from the last year they were produced maybe (it looks pretty new). Thanks anyway for the thread

I couldn't buy it back the, I didn't have the money. But I'll surely get it in one or two weeks. Thanks for the welcome!

That's exactly the tone I'm not looking for. Having already a p bass (although it's a cheap one) I want to get some new sounds. So thank you for the advice!

Cool, that sounds grat! I've already tried it, but not on my amp, and it sounded pretty cool, maybe a too much mids when it's set on flat. But whe I boosted the lows... Man, that was great

So thank you everybody for the information given! I think I'll get that bass soon

two fingers and bholder like this.
  8. theguy316

theguy316

May 4, 2018
    Santa Cruz
    I had a 305 and it ripped, huge B/E strings. The QC was great and as far as I can remember the electronics were flexible and sounded good. Bholder is right, it's going to take you into that Stingray treble/presence area. I recall the lows/low mids being very full as well. I have a Stingray I'm happy with right now, but I always keep the ATKs in the back of my mind if something happens.

Just a heads up, my 305 was pretty heavy though. Get a good strap.

9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

ATK are pretty kickass

10. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Love mine. A true funk machine. If it has the older "impolite" pre amp, you're gonna love it. It's special, and so it the tri coil pickup. I believe the last year they used those preamps was 2007. The ones after that had a more toned down preamp and were redesigned. Neck is a tad beefy for some but no bigger than a P neck with more of a MM profile. I agree w BHolder above, the cut and beef you can get is a bit more than a MM.

They can be a bit heavy though. Make sure you get a weight on it if that's a deal-breaker for you. Mine is 11.5 pounds but oh so worth it. Solid, well made bass.

Wheel truss rod adjustment and matching angled red sparkle headstock in this price range? Yes please!

Check out this post for the full down low. Advice on the Ibanez ATK

20190525_160816.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    theguy316 and bholder like this.
  11. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I had an ATK800E at one point in my collection, it was a StingRay killer...
    Rock on.

12. theguy316

theguy316

May 4, 2018
    Santa Cruz
    Didn't expect to go to school today. Nice tip.

BeefPie84 likes this.
  13. Dupe

Dupe

Dec 31, 2018
    Spain
    So thank you all for your advices, information and time. Today I finally went to the store and purchased this little funky monster. It feels really comfortable, it sounds like a beast (I've played some punk,funky and metal tunes with my guitarist and my drummer today and this bass fits everything) it's everything I was looking for. Once again, thank you, you're for sure a great community. EC6Pax0X4AAglDx.jpg

DanPae, dabbler and BeefPie84 like this.
  14. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Judging by the truss rod wheel, I think it's Indonesian between 2005 and 2007. Look it up and we may be able to tell you more about it.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020