1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez atk300 Is this a good bass? sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shawshank72, Apr 12, 2009.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Someone is offering this 2005 model to me. Has anyone played this? What kind of sound does it have? I use a pick so im not worried about how it slaps or pops, i just wanted to add a modern sounding bass to my collection when times call for it.
    :hyper:

2. They have a very musicman stingray-like sound.

Very nice basses :)

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    They are well made basses. As for the sound, they are active but sound more like a P-bass than anything else to my damaged ears.

4. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Your old sunburst ATK 300 should be arriving at my doorstop this week Stinsok :)

To OP: ATKs are great with a pick.

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My "old" ATK is a great player.

6. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Dude, that's SWEET! I would certainly get that if I were you. Especially with a pick you will cut through great if you are in a rock/punk/metal band. They look super cool too.

I'd like to have that bass.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Apparently you haven't played it, so be warned that they tend to be very heavy. If weight is a problem for you, you might want to watch out. I bought a 700 and a 750 recently and find them at around eleven pounds too heavy to use much.

The ATK300s are currently made by (who else?) Cor-Tek in Indonesia (the 700 & 750 in Korea), and they usually are OK. Known weaknesses include the electronics and occasional improperly-seated frets due to the long-caul fretboard build, which I would be sure to check on a 2005 as these fret problems are somewhat less common now than they were then.

With the active circuit and coil splitting, you can get a pretty broad range of sounds out of these, but be warned there is no passive backup mode.

I think the natural ash-bodied ATK300s are often quite attractive instruments.

There are very long threads here about the ATK and they contain a few useful and informative posts.

8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Finally got to play it. cccrrrraaaapppp!!!!

9. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    they have a reputation for giving a Stingray kinda sound for not very much money... I'd buy one if I spotted a good deal

10. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    To me the sound was good, the bass felt great for weight and balance but.... for active pickups it sounded weaker in the mix than my passive p bass. kinda bummed

11. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    Does yours have the elixirs on it still? While the active EQ is not the most powerful, I seem to notice a significant increase in volume when I use Nickel rounds.

12. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    i use blue steel mediums

13. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Here's a good sound sample:

14. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    whoever that is on youtube is a fantastic player, but my style is more krist novoselic

15. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Did you try adjusting the internal trim pot for more volume?

16. +1 - I hear this complaint about ATKs often- why Ibanez sets the gain on the preamp low (usually) is beyond me.

Open the control cavity on the back of the bass. Locate a white plastic dial and adjust with a Phillips screwdriver. Ideally have the bass plugged in to an amp so yo ucan hear the chnage as you play - can't recall which direction is HIGH gain and which is LOW - fairly quickly you will find out :)

I found once I had that puppy cranked up, it was plenty loud!

J