1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez ATK300 or Yamaha BBG4SII

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Malachi71, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    I need some recommendations on which bass to buy. I can buy an Ibanez ATK300, as many of you know, for $299 or buy a Yamaha BBG4SII that I found on Craigslist for $250.

Both basses have great reviews according to online reviews. Of these two which one would offer the most versatility and distinct sound? I play mostly progressive rock, blues, and gospel.

A look at the Ibanez
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...511834&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=43614630

A look at the Yamaha.
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1997255380.html

2. Had you said it was between an ATK or BB414 I would have been hard pressed to decide. But in this case I say ATK.

3. toprekoms

toprekoms Inactive

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    My SRE400 for 300.00. Way better than both. Check out the member's comments.
    Toprekoms

4. BBG4SII

BBG4SII

Feb 27, 2009
    Wow, that's a nice Yamaha that's for sale! Looks mint. If I didn't have one of those already, I'd be all over that. You rarely see one in that kind of condition at that age. Those BBG4II's are excellent recording basses. Tons of reviews online have them rated extremely well.

5. I LOVE my ATK300...

but...

For $250, that's a sweet deal on that Yamaha.

You'll find ATK's in the 300-or-less range all the time, those BBG4SII's not so much.

6. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Feb 4, 2009
    CT,USA
    The Yamaha has more tonal options and it is a better deal. Gotta love those BBs!!!!!

7. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I recently played 2 ATK's that were great and sounded wonderful. Can't believe they are so cheap. That being said, I am sure that BB is just as good and will carry a better resale value.

8. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    I appreciate the posts but you guys aren't making this decision any easier. Does anyone know where I can hear sound clips of the Yamaha? I think I found one on Youtube but the sound wasn't very good and the player just slapped, no fingerstyle examples or panning to hear the neck/bridge/both on pickups. Finding sound clips of the ATK on Youtube was not a problem. There are many from slapping to fingerstyle.

9. BBG4SII

BBG4SII

Feb 27, 2009
    Well, what I can say about my Yamaha is that it can produce at least three distinct tones. Nothing like an L-2000 but you're not asking about that bass. The neck pickup has a full, dark, woody, p-bass type sound. With both pickups on you get a j-bass type sound. Bridge pickup you get a more nasally tone (my least favorite of the three panning positions). I use both pickups on the most followed by the neck pickup.

I can't speak for the ATK on how many distinct tones it can produce but maybe someone will chime in. There are tons of reviews here on TB.