Ibanez ATK305

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vorago, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Ibanez ATK305 in good condition.

Natural color.
    Maple fingerboard.
    Made in Japan.
    Active five string bass with very heavy sound.
    Perfect for metal.
    Triple coil PU with threeway switch (parallel/series/single coil) & 3band EQ. Black pickguard.
    Little dent in the headstock.
    Including gigbag.

Tell me more about this bass, a guy is selling it right now, and I'm interested in this one.
  2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I love the ATK 300/305. If you don't buy it, I may be interested ! ;)

Simple, right in your face, great neck, one of the best preamps I've tested on "cheap" basses.

How much does he ask for it ?
  3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  4. Thats a bit much for it tbh, seen them go cheaper than that in mint condition

However, i really want one too!
  5. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    A little expensive to me too. But ATKs absolutely rock! I've witnessed how Julio, from SKA-P (as a european, you might know them) stopped using his Stingray in favour of his ATKs (he has two 300s and one 700). He finds their sound a little rounder. I might agree (still undecided)... But he still uses his Stingray for recording. As a Stingray 5 owner, I definitely like ATKs, they play well and sound nice. On the other hand, for such a price you may want to try an RD505 (Ibanez's new line "ReadGear"). They come in an MM+single coil layout (Seymour Duncan -a custome model for Ibanez-). Their look is impressive although their electronics doesn't appeal that much to me (no coil tap, just balance, and only 2-band EQ). Also there's the much expensive RD905, that comes with Duncan's BassLines pickups (the most preferred MM replacement) and with an added switch for bypassing the onboard preamp. Hope this helps!

6. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    ATKs 305 rock ! I still have one and always quite amazed by its preamp.
    I've heard a lot of people said that they prefer ATK to real MM just for versatility.
    Only draw back I found is that it weights a dead horse ! the thing is damned heavy.

7. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Yeah, 550 Euros is a bit much, that's pretty close to what ATK 300s retailed for back then. If you decide to get it, have a replacement jack ready, their jacks are pretty notorious for breakage, mine lasted about five years.
  8. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    I've never seen a new ATK 300/3005 sold new at that price...
    Are you sure you don't refer to ATK 400 and 405 which came after and which were made in Corea and not Japan ?
    I think the retail price at his lowest was more in the 700 €.

9. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Well, I paid rougly 1250 German marks for my lefty ATK 300 in 97, which should be about 600 Euros, right? I think regular ATK 300s were a tad cheaper and ATK 305s were about 1300 Marks, i.e. about 650 Euros.
  10. I loved the weight of them :D

Greg K from the offspring always uses them, which is cool, because the amount they rake in and such, he could easily take any bass he was given, but chooses his old ATK's over, which is nice

Someone on here has a lovely red one with a flamed maple top, and, mmmmm, its just right!
  11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for the replies, but I already bailed out. I have too much gas for a Jazz :D
  12. I know! :smug:
    Phyrexian: the ATK305 seller
  13. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    I just got one myself, it's quite a nice bass and my first 5-string. The color doesn't come out well in the pic, it's not orangey, more like a honey burst or somthing. Nice wood. I quite like the preamp, and normally I'm not much on active basses...the mid knob should have a warning label on it!!! :p

Odd bit is, it hasn't got the Ibanez logo on the headstock-- tracked down the SN and found it was one of the prototypes from the first run they did at the Cort factory in Korea.

14. Weird. The one that I'm selling doesn't have the Ibanez logo on the headstock either!! Where did you track down that sn-number?
  15. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Wow. Am I the only Yank that has read this thread?

I love these basses. I've owned 4 ATK's, but since I never play out anymore I sold 2 of them and am down to just 2. They are far and away one of the best basses ever made by Ibanez. They were buit to compete with the EBMM Stingray but in my opinion they ended up being better basses. Sound is amazing, feel is amazing, craftsmanship is amazing.

The bass you describe is made in Japan. Does it have a clear pickguard? I think it is an ATK500 series bass. Most ATK's were made in Korea, i.e. the 300 series, 400 series and 100 series. The 500 series was made in Japan and there was a USA made series that had "tension free" PBC necks by Bunker guitars. Anyway, if it is a Japanese ATK500, the E550 price tag would make a bit more sense.

Good luck.
  16. Like I said before. It's my bass that's selling. It's a japanse ATK305. Strange thing is that it doesn't have the Ibanez headstock logo...

Here's some pictures: