1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez ATK805E vs G&L 2500 tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by distortion67, Jan 23, 2013.

1. distortion67

distortion67

Jan 23, 2013
    I've been playing an older ATK305 for sometime, but really itching for a new bass.

The newer ATK805E sounds awesome with some nice additions (neck pickup), but not so in love with the shade of brown:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATK805EWNF/

Also been looking at the G&Ls for a while either the L2500 tribute or M2500 tribute.

Looking for positives or negatives of anyone that's played either of these two, or just general thoughts on another bass around $800.

Thanks.

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    The look stays the Ibanez "MusicMan knockoff", but the sound is way different nowadays

On the ATK305 you had the TripleCoil pickup who could get dialed parallel, phantom coil, serial

On the ATK805 you have the new C.A.P. pickups who are multiples of humkbuckers

I mean: bridge pickup is a double humbucker, so the selector works with front/both/rear humbucker
    Neck pickup, called Arch, is a humbucker too: the blend knob mixes neck pickup/both/bridge (dual) pickups

So you apply frequencies off different positioning along the ash body to the three band equalizer, but just that...

New ATKs are more powerful than ever, yet not as much versatile as they used to be, and less comparable to MusicMan

G&L Tribute L2500 employs same essences of the American made ones (surely less selected) and cheaper finishings, but hardware and electronic is consistent
    They count on an incredible power in serial, still they're up there in parallel, and can get switched off (Ibanez ATKs don't)
    if you favor a passive approach, or your power supply ran dry.

Both Ibanez ATKs and G&L, sport ash bodies and humbuckers and deliver a very high output
    Both are straigt forward basses that can get thru any band mix with no shame
    Both are 34" scale basses with stringthru himass birdges and provide downtunin' with no failings, the price it's nearly the same and the only valuable competitor in that price range and nononsense approach is passive Fender Standard Jazz V

I prefer G&L Tributes in that I opted for carved maple tops versions, other than that I couldn't tell you more... I love'em both

Cheers,
    Wallace

PS: did you take a look at SterlingRay35? That could play a lil' bit different and coverin' your sound needs...

tbx59 likes this.
  3. distortion67

distortion67

Jan 23, 2013
    Thanks for the response, hadn't seen the new ernie ball sterling basses, I'll have to look into those.

Hard to find places that carry the ibanez and G&L would be nice to try them out.

Going to hit up guitar center and try the sterling if they have it, have seen some positive reviews on it.

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    The new ATK and the G&L are both nice basses. It really comes down to which will fit your playing style and is more comfortable to you. For me, I found the new ATK to be a better ergonomic fit and I liked the tone. Do wish there were some color options though.

5. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm a big fan of these $600-$800 basses... to me they're quality workable giggable instruments and they don't break the bank. Lets you have 2-3 cool basses rather than 1 super expensive American-made treasure. But I digress...

I haven't played the new ATKs yet, but if their build quality is as good as its always been then it'd be a solid upgrade. The ATK705 I had from 6-7 years ago felt like a $1000+ instrument it was so polished and clean. Although it was heavy as a cinder block.

I tried to like the G&L Tributes because they're well liked around here, but the body/neck just didn't agree with me. Not sure what it was, the body didn't sit comfortably for me and the neck was too fat I think, but thats just me (an awkward lanky 6'5".) I liked the fit of the ATK over the G&L but you'd have to strap both up and decide for yourself.

I responded to chip in a nod to the Ray35's... I sold the ATK as I'd really had no more need for 4 strings, and have been using a Ray35 for the last few months. Super awesome bass, its heavy like an ATK but has the most playable 5 string neck I've yet to experience. It wouldnt be as tonally versatile as the ATK or G&L but if you want the Stingray tone and its brothers and sisters this nails it.

6. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Infact I don't have it (yet:smug:) but I go on in testin' both it and basswood bodied SB14 and... who knows

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021