ibanez bashing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clef360, Sep 20, 2003.

1. i know there's been a lot of ibanez soundgear bashing going on in these forums, and since i'm fairly new to bass, and happen to own an sr645, i was wondering what specifically is bad about ibanez basses, and if there's anything that i can do to remedy some of these problems(besides selling it)
  2. I dunno. I have always found the Ibanez tone lacking warmth and feeling. It's not that it sounds hi-fi. More like it sounds thin, almost like it's missing definition. I really can't play them without cringing. Some people like the tone, but I have never played an Ibanez I liked more then marginally. All a matter of taste I imagine.
  3. ozellman

Jan 6, 2003
    Ibanez basses hae their pros and cons just like all other brands. The good things about them are their playability, for players with small hands in particular, their reasonable weight and pretty consistent quality. They do however have a rather weak tone due to the skinny and relatively unstable neck which give the 5 and 6 strings in particular a rather weak B string. Higher end instruments generally have more stable necks made out of better wood and they are usually not as thin as the Soundgear necks. This is true also for the more expensive Soundgears, although to a somewhat lesser degree. The soundgears (and Ibanez basses in general) also suffer from their poor pickups and electronics. Their higher end instruments have lately been equipped with Bartolinis though.

For a beginner, those downsides might be less of a problem than for a recording pro. If you like your bass, stick to it. It can certainly be improved soundwise by replacing the pickups but it might or it might not be worth the price depending on how happy you are with the bass in general.

4. What do you mean by "these" problems??

I've liked most ibanez basses I've played.. And I think they are great for their price.
  5. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Exactly, many TB forumites own and play higher end basses, often strecthing beyoind the $1,500 mark. When they put forward their comments on lower end basses, they're bound to use their main bass as a point of comparason, hence the posts that look like 'bashing'.

Just my view though. On a related matter, the only ibanez I ever played were an ergodyme and a soundgear. The Ergodyme was around £800 and was honestly one of the worst basses I've played, especially for that price tag! The £180 soundgear, on the other hand, I liked and was shocked at it's low price tag.
  6. The first bass that lured me away from the exclusive use of my ol' reliable '61 Pbass was an Ibanez Musician 824 in the early '80s. It was a great sounding and playing bass and my only minor gripes were the weight and the colour - sort of a frogbelly gold colour.

The electonics package was very versatile and the playability was all there too. No Ibanez-bashing going on here.
  7. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

No Ibanez bashing here! Just got this for 300 buck's and it sounds and plays so good that it made it into the regular rotation. In-fact it's coming with me tonight to a coverband gig.:cool:
  8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    The NEWBIE LINKS section put together by rabid_granny is always a good place to start.

Here's the why people hate Ibanez thread

9. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That's the reason I sold my SR400. The bass had a good feel and playability was excellent, But the pups were just blah blah blah.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I played exclusively Soundgear basses for a year or so, started on my SR400, which is the only one I still own, and bought an SR645 and an 800 or two, gigged excessively with them, but my favoite was the 800 with EMG's, sounded amazing. The others were good in live situation but not too shabby recorded.

Since the time, I've switched to higher end, heavier instruments with bigger necks, playing P-basses and Stingrays strictly for the tone. I still have my first SR400 which is in the process of being hotrodded with a Hipshot Tremolo and EMG pickups. Already has the top 8 frets scalloped and I'm just about ready to shred.
  11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    For the price, there is absolutely nothing wrong
    with Ibanez basses. The sound, playability, and
    build quality are good.

12. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I've always thought that as far as Ibanez basses go, for the price there is always something else out there that's better. Just IMO though. Especially their lower range stuff like the Ibanez SRX300(?) for example, for a little less money you can get a very nice Yamaha BB404 that'll blow it away(at least in terms of worksmanship and build quality and sound, playability's very subjective) and for a little more money you can get a BB604. Ibanez makes decent stuff though but my point is, there's always something better out there.

Thats my conclusion as far as my experiences with Ibanez basses go. Just my 2 cents.
  13. Until recently, I'd only played some of the Sound Gears, and I didn't really like them. I played an Ergodyne EDA-905 (or whatever that model number is) a couple of weeks ago and was pretty impressed, however. Comfortable and great sounds.
  14. :cool:
  15. if you're new to bass, my advice is to forget about this issue. the ibanez is a perfectly adequate tool to learn on. forget about basses, and take a few years to learn to read, learn theory, and learn to play by ear as well. you will be much happier in the long run!
  16. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    when i was browsing guitar centers for a new warwick, i was checking some out and a guy that worked there was talking to me a little, and actually handed me an ibanez to try. you can only imagine how i felt, that ibanez was 2 seconds away from flying through his face. hes lucky im a nice guy, but im still offended.
  17. That could very well be my ol' frogbelly... great bass! Enjoy.
  18. I love my now fretless Ibanez GSR200 :) Mmmmm...Ibanez -drools-
  19. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    hey tyler did you get that pedal yet? i sent it with 2 day shipping, so it should be there today or monday.
  20. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Nice bass, whats the name of that bass etc ''btb'' sr07' or sumthing, cos i cant find it on the ibanez site is it a rare type?..