Ibanez bass G.A.S!! , am I mad???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mat gregory, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Hey guys , I was in sound control UK today , playing various basses , played a warwick corvette standard a spector euro and a bolt on thumb. None of which took my fancy too much (not too good sound flat from warwick and disliked the feel of the spector). Anyhow on the wall was an ibanez doug wimbish signature. I picked it up just out of curiosity and MY WORD!! straight out of the box the tone was exelcent ,clear and precise great lows and a good slap tone without adjustment of any Eq. The bass played as nice as thw warwicks but the slim neck felt more comfortable for my hands though it was a laquered finish it may slow down with sweat , but something i can easily live with! So il be buying one of these puppies very soon i hope. Il give a full review then.

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope, not mad. I'm itching for an Ibanez 6er too.
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yup! I did this with my SR305DX, and boy was it an improvement. It's also been defretted and shot to heck, so it's a pure POS bass that's my test subject for mods and the likes. But definitly take that finish right off there! 220 then 400 then 600+ will do ya right!

4. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I have not been a fan of Ibanez basses for a while but I've been impressed with some of the models they have put out over the past three years. I love the RKB passive model with the SD Quarter LB'ers, the RD500 with the MM and jazz pickup setup and the Doug Wimbish models. I would buy any one of them if I had the money.
  5. I've always liked Ibanez. Great value for the price too. I'm lookin at a Soundgear 5-string model that's neck-through and has 2 humbuckers. (can't remember the model at the moment...think it's one of the SRX series though) Saw it in one of the local shops one day, first time I picked it up, I knew I needed it. Hope to make it mine soon.
  6. Yes, that RD500 is a nice bass; I played one about two months ago.

Mat, I have two Ibanez basses: a 1979 Musician, which is top-notch in construction and sound, and an EDA905F fretless, which has a very convincing upright-like tone.

I've heard that the Wimbish bass is pretty well made too.

I give credit where credit is due.

Mike ;)
  7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I've been gas'in for a new Ibanez SR905CNF since February of this year.

I'll have one before long.

8. hooky_marr

hooky_marr Supporting Member

I'm shopping for a replacement bass at the moment; I'm just on an OLP baritone (tuned low E-E, with Silhouette Bass Guitar strings), sold my old Peavey G-Bass some time back - nice instrument but I never fell in love with the sound.

I'm reading a lot of good reviews of the RDs; I fondly remember my old 1980s cherry sunburst Roadstar II (birdseye top, bound body, $200!) as being both light and full of tone.

I went down to the local music enormo-drome and saw the RD300 for $289 CDN, an absolute steal, great quality for the money. Then for about $570 there was the RD 500 which has Duncan Basslines MM-ish pickups, a flame top, active EQ and presumably some improved hardware as well.

Then on the net I see the RD 400 and 600 - which I'm not sure are available in North America - but seem like good values too. The 400 is like the 500, minus the flame maple top, with solid finishes slightly different than the 300 series (Pearl White replaces Red).

The 600 seems to be identical to the 500, but with different finish options (blackburst quilted, honey sunburst quilted) and pearl dots on the neck.

Depending on which website you go to, you may see the 500 and 600 with completely different pickups. Some photos show the instruments with Ibanez-branded EBMM style pickups, and a J with four big MM style polepieces. Others show Basslines or Duncan Designed for Ibanez pickups, more soapbar-shaped, and the J has eight polepieces.

I rather prefer the EBMM shaped ones because of the "thumb space" the two top tabs give you, it's a nice built-in 'anchor', but only the low-end RD300 seems to have that.

Any international readers, or Ibanez reps, know what's up with this? I want to buy one really soon but I want to know what I'm getting first...
  9. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    you're not mad, I've been gassin for an sr 905 and my local shop just got a shipment of new basses and guitars, I thing the smaller outlet they own may be remodeling or something, either way buy it if you love it.
  10. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Me too, the BTB specifically. I played it at the local shop a few weeks ago, and loved it. Came back today, and it was sold! :bawl:

11. I love my BTB, the Roadgear was pretty cool, never been much of a fan of the SG's though. Perhaps I just need to try a nice one.
  12. Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    Best bass I've ever played on (never played boutiques or anything, but I've played American Fenders and the like), and the only bass I've ever considered buying on the spot first time I've even heard of it, was an SR900. I'd have bought it right there if I had more than $200 at the time, totally serious. I don't know if it was the set up or what, but that bass was amazing, and everyone who has tried it agrees with me and felt the same. Store sold two more without them even being stocked, people bought them on the spot once they heard it was on order. I've been told I'll have another chance before Christmas, they intent to get at least one on the floor.
  13. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I love my SR-506. Mahogony body, 5 piece Bubinga/Wenge neck and Bart MK1's. It looks, plays and sounds great. I did some recording with it direct earlier this week on 3 different songs using 3 totally different tones created with the built-in Bart 3 band EQ. I'm amazed how good each one sounded. No regrets on buying this at all. And it didn't cost me a months (or more) salary either. :)

Good luck and Have Fun! :bassist:
  14. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    yeah, i've been itching for an sr506 for a while now.
  15. Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    I really like the RD models.
  16. I wish my sound control had that, the one up in dundee only seems to have the lower end SR and GSRs (there might be an SRX in there), they are also treying to get rid of an EDA900, i would love to take it, but, i dont like the colour (navey-blue sunburst, its nothing on my red rock flat! ), i cant dignify spending money on another bass atm, and i already have an EDA 905!

that DW must be sweet
  17. hooky_marr

If this is of use to collectors or anyone else - when I was shopping for an Ibanez RD500 I was confused by the two different model photos that different online stores had.

Well, I finally solved the mystery - I went to Ibanez' spare parts site and looked it up by model number, and it turns out there actually were two different production runs of the RD500.

The first production run, 1A-01, was from November 2003 to October 2004, had the unpainted headstock and MM-shaped bridge pickup. The second run, 1A-02, goes from December 2004 to today, and has the painted headstock and a "Duncan soapbar MM" bridge pickup.

Now, to track down a model from the 1A-01 production run... :D
  18. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Is this just because of the pickup height for your finger placement?

It may pay to check out both models if that is at all possible. The latest pickups may sound better. If I had a better sounding bass, I'd be finding a way around the thumb anchor problem but that's just my opinion.

I'm looking for the RD900 or RD905 but there's none here in NZ for me to try.

19. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Ya know, the RD 905 (flamed maple over mahogany, american duncan pickups, etc.) is lookin' mighty tasty these days..............could be a screaming bargain on the price to value ratio.............
  20. hooky_marr

While I was researching all this I found out there's a couple of other models unavailable outside Japan.

The RD-400 is basically a 500 with a solid color finish - they have it in Pearl White, Metallic Black and Starlight Blue.

The RD-600 is a 500 with an added switch (not sure what it does), possibly a different electronics package, and real mother-of-pearl dots.