Ibanez Bass Truss rod question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Will_2016, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Will_2016

Will_2016

Apr 7, 2018
    Hi I'm new to the forum. I just bought a new in the box Ibanez 305E 5-string bass on line, and I need to adjust it because all of the strings at the first fret buzz badly. I tried to adjust it at the bridge, but that didn't change it enough to stop it and it throws the fret gap off.

I noticed that when I push the neck away from my body the buzzing stops so I think the truss rod needs a tweak. So I have a question.

Which way do I turn the wrench, and how far? It doesn't need much, as I can stop the buzzing with a slight push forward with my left hand at the back of the neck.

Also pulling the neck backward towards me (if I was standing up playing the bass) causes the buzz to get worse, if that helps with the direction I need to adjust it.

Also for those that might want to know, the truss rod for this guitar requires a 5/32nd Allen Wrench.

Thank you!!

Will

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sounds like the neck might be too flat, needs more relief. You should loosen the truss rod nut, 1/4 turn counter-clockwise then give it a day to settle before rechecking and making any further adjustments.

Will_2016 likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Needing to wait a day is a myth. A few minutes will suffice.

alaskaleftybass and 96tbird like this.
  4. Will_2016

Will_2016

Apr 7, 2018
    Thanks for the quick feed back! Since the strings are all loose in order to adjust the rod I didn't want to have to keep loosening and tightening them.

This is a brand new guitar, so I don't know how that might affect the potential settling issue, if it is one. I don't know that much about it honestly.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. If it's an Ibanez the truss rod is probably 4mm. 5/32 is close but if you have to torque it very much you're liable to round off the wrench or round out the nut.

bigtone23 and Reedt2000 like this.
  7. Will_2016

Will_2016

Apr 7, 2018
    Yes I did see the basic set up questions, but the truss rod video was for Fender so I thought maybe it wouldn't apply to Ibanez.

Thanks for the heads up on the Metric for the truss rod. I don't think I'll have to tweak it much, but I will certainly be careful since all I have are the standard allen wrenches. Plus I'm loosening it, so that's in my favor too.

8. Will_2016

Will_2016

Apr 7, 2018
    Update: That quarter turn did the trick, no more buzzing! Thanks again.

96tbird and bholder like this.
  9. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    That's a 4mm wrench, Ibanez uses metric everything. 5/32" is like 3.9688 mm, which is close, but any strong torque could round out the TR nut.

10. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    glad you got it fixed..

fwiw,
    -you can turn a truss rod with the strings tensioned.
    -if you have problems with which direction to turn, use a tuner. back bow raises the pitch, forward bow lowers it.
    -new ibanezs' come with a bag of goodies. a pair of allen wrenches is included. as well as a pretty informative booklet.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021