1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Bass Tubescreamer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by neadams, Jan 26, 2012.

1. neadams

neadams

Nov 26, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Has anyone had any experience with this pedal? I know it's just like all the other JRC chip pedals out there...but didn't know if anyone had any good feedback about it...pros...cons...bass response....

2. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    You're going to hear varying responses on this one. I spent a half hour with it in a store and HATED it! Some of the tube amp guys will say it's the voice of god. I just know that I've heard better TS circuits from Keeley, Analogman, Fulltone, and MXR, just to name a few.

I'd say you're going to have to try it out.

3. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Fellow TBer Mark Olson did some clips and a slight review of it a couple months back:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/ibanez-ts9b-bass-tubescreamer-overdrive-soundclips-776109/

It's a useful clip thread, before it turned into a solid state vs. tubes bash-a-thon.

I got to use it for a practice, and remembered it sounding pretty good (admittedly not having any other TS circuit references as Vegas mentions above). The clips from Ibanez sounded terrible to me, but some of the tones Mark was getting I thought sounded great. Obviously gear makes a difference, playing style, YMMV, yadda-yadda - and I personally feel it may respond better pushing actual tubes as opposed to SS (but that's just my opinion).

Even though I never purchased, from my one night experience with it, I still maintain that at its price point you could do worse. FWIW.

4. neadams

neadams

Nov 26, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    cool, thanks...I'll check it out

5. I tried one out at Sam Ash with my bass and one of their rigs- meh. A bit bland for my tastes- didn't get clean well, and didn't get all that dirty, either. A Bad Monkey does 90% of what it can do at less than half the price IMHO.

6. +1

While hate might be too strong a word, my demo of it left me more than under whelmed. I think having the word "screamer" in its name is a bit of a misnomer. I was expecting more...ummm....not sure what....over the topness or something. I use a tube amp so maybe I am missing the point of the pedal. Cause I couldn't see why I would want one.

7. TussinBot.

TussinBot.

Aug 21, 2010
    Burbank, Ca
    Tried it, wasn't impressed, also found it bland. Also have experience with the fulltone OCD, Bass Drive, Sparkle Drive, and ended up with the way huge Green Rhino. It isnt much more (price wise) than the ibanez and can be bought used regularly from $80-$100 bucks. I play it with a GK mb500 (solidstate) and a passive G&L Sb2 which has higher output than any active bass I've tried, which usually crushes overdrives distortions and fuzzes, but the rhino loves it. To me the rhino is the perfect overdrive for my GK amp - as if it was built for it. Retains low end really well and gets pretty darn grindy.

8. neadams

neadams

Nov 26, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    thanks..great feedback. I was going to check one out, but I don't think I'll waste my time. I can't find anyone who raves about it...lol. I used the BB pre before, but sold it...I'll prob just end up getting that again....haha