Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Bass Tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by John Curran, Dec 17, 2005.

1. John Curran

John Curran

Dec 17, 2005
    Does anyone have any info regarding tuners for an older Ibanez Musician Bass. The gears on my 'G' string tuner have stripped and will no longer come up to pitch. Most of the after market tuners I have found require a 9/16" hole for the machine head, however my older 'Musician' has an approx. 11/16" (.662") hole in the headstock. Ibanez is of little help. I've only been able to reference replacement parts back to a 2000 vintage (my musician is a 1979 vintage) and Ibanez does not reference size specifications for the tuners that they do offer. Am I really going to have to trash my vintage instrument over this small problem?
    Any help from anyone with a similar experience, or other technical knowledge/advice is greatly appreciated.

2. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Hey, post some pics.
    I have a spare set(x4) of black musician bass tuners which might be useable.

Brandon

3. I'm sorry John, there's no hope for the bass, so that leaves the only satisfactory solution to be sending me the instrument for a proper, er...burial...deep in my closet! :D

Seriously though, a pic will help. I had an 80 model Musician back then and I seem to remember them being Grover tuners but that was many brain cells ago.

4. Jlwctn

Jlwctn

Dec 15, 2005
    Hi John Curran. Did you ever get tuners that would work for you?

I just won this set of tuners on Ebay, and they're too big for my guitar. :(

[​IMG]

Do these look like yours? Let me know. These were advertised as Ibanez, but the only reason I bought them was because they looked good and were inexpensive. I've got $23.49 in them, and I'll let you have them for that plus shipping if you think they'll work for you.

(I don't mean to spam, and I don't normally try to sell _anything_ on a board, but there was a shout out for these, so...)

5. I'm resurrecting this old thread, as I have the same issue with my 1984 Ibanez "bean" bass. The G string tuner is 100% shot out, and I need a new one. The hole is about 18mm diameter on the top side, and 15mm at the back. Huh...? Does anyone know, will these Shallers work? I cannot find the actual tuners from this era.

Schaller BML Light Bass Tuner, Right Side, Gold

It says fits 17mm hole, but which side? The guy at Warmoth wasn't much help.

Thanks~!

6. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Gold Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
  7. I'll check those out. Thanks!

8. berwick63

berwick63

Apr 19, 2011
    Bellmawr, NJ
    You're gonna measure the size by the back of the headstock. Typically, tuner holes are done with a reamer, which is taper, so the back side is going to be bigger than the front. The front needs to be big enough to accept either the insert or threaded nut that holds the tuner down.