Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sams, Apr 27, 2001.

1. sams

sams

Mar 20, 2001
    East Orange, NJ
    I have a Ibanex sr405 and it was and is my first bass and I love it too. I have not changed the pickups on it yet but I am thinking about it. I think it is dx pickups? Not sure. Any recommendation? I play at my church as well and I am looking for that rich, deep, warm sound with a sharp, crisp pop.

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I had a Sr405 too and, if I remember correctly, the pups are dx5.
    I've read in here that several sr 4x users have upgraded the preamp rather than the pups.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thats what I did with mine, using an EMG now. Made all the difference in the world.

Mike

4. sams

sams

Mar 20, 2001
    East Orange, NJ
    Is there a specific model of EMG? Where can I get a good deal?

5. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    I am thinking about changing the preamp in my SR885 to an EMG BTC+VCM or the BQC (BTC+VCM + Vol & Blend), but with the complete BQC system I'll need to change the PUPs to some EMGs as well (maybe the 40CS, haven't decided yet). You can read more about EMG preamps here http://www.emginc.com/Accy.html#EMGBT

One reason I haven't committed to EMGs yet (other than current lack of funds) is what this guy said here: http://www.kingbass.com/pickups.html#emgactive He says that the BQC is "unacceptably noisy" & "the mid sweep is too narrow to be useful." But that is one man's observation. mikemulcahy, or someone else, may be able to disprove that. mike?

6. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    If you can afford it, get a pre-amp and pick-ups. If you can't, I'd say get the pre-amp. The DX5's aren't bad, but the 405's pre-amp really limit's them.

7. looks like we're on the exact same boat. I play at my church also, and i'm looking to upgrade my SR-506...so i should change the preamp only?...what is better, Bartolini or EMG preamp/pickups?

i love Ibanez

8. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    It's a matter of taste, but generally barts are better. Barts cost alot more too.

9. how much would a Bartolini preamp and humbuckers cost for a 6-string Ibanez (SR-506, active)?

i've searched but i couldnt find prices on Bartolinis.

Can anyone who knows how much they are please help me out?

I like the sound of Bartolinis...i played a Conlkin 7-string GROOVE TOOL w/ Bartolini pups and preamp...it sounded soooo good.

10. Sam Copeland

Sam Copeland

Apr 28, 2001
    Victoria, TX
    i have an Ibanez sr 800 that is an awesome bass i love the sound the only set back is putting strings on but who cares for that kinda sound

11. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    The Groove Tool Conklin's don't have barts in them. I think the pre-amp is bart designed, but I'm not sure. I do know it's pick-ups are made by mightymite, the same people who make Ibanez's p-ups. The groove tools are also made in the cort factory along with most ibanez's.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A$$man, the GT7 and BD 7 do have Bartolinis in them, at least everyone that I have ever seen at GC or on Ebay does.

The GT4 and 5 do not.

I believe that they all have the Bartolini designed preamp though.

13. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Ahh. I did not know that. I've never really looked at the GT7's p-ups close enough to see that they have "bartolini" molded in them (too many strings in the way), but you can clearly see the "conklin" logo on the p-ups of the GT4 and GT5. My bad.

14. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I am pretty sure the factory is named Cor-Tek. Correct me if I am wrong.

15. do you mean when you put a new E and B string in the Soundgear?...cuz when i put in new B-strings, it seem like it doesn't fit, so i usually have to 'grind' it in there...it's not SERIOUS grinding...but it's not a pretty sound.

16. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Do you use a tapered B string because that may help out.

17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    That would only help if the bridge is Quick Release/Top Load.
    The SR´s normally have a Pass-Thru Bridge, so a Tappered wont help at all

18. what's a tapered string?

19. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    A tappered string is based on the original Rotosound Exposed Core String.
    A string consists of a CORE WIRE wich could be round, oval or Hexagonal.
    Then, it is wrapped by other kinds of wire.

Then, a normal string has its outer wraps around the core from the BALL END..
    A Exposed Core string has its outer wraps about 2 Inches from the BALL END.
    that way the CORE of the string is directly placed over the bridge saddle.

Now, since the Exposed Core is a patent of Rotosound, other versions have emerged.
    Normally a Taper Wound string means that only the first outer winding is present over the bridge saddle, and the rest of the windings begin later.
    This is the most used, as in La Bella´s Super Steps, Ken Smith Strings, etc etc.

Other design consists of having the heaviest outer winding over the bridge and then later the medium windings begin to be present until the string is Gauge-Full (Its nominal Gauge), such as D´Aquisto Taperlocks.

Personally I prefeer normal strings, as they have better feel, are more tight, and I think that a exposed core/tappered string wont vibrate in equal measurements for their harmonic response, so that can affect intonation and natural harmonics performance.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Luis, untapered B's do have a slightly tighter feel, but taperwound B's are a mus for cheap 5 and 6 stringers.

IME, a bass with a floppy B will have a better sounding B with a taperwound than an untapered string.

Taperwound B strings are easier to intonate, also.