Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vagenis, Oct 6, 2002.

1. vagenis

vagenis Member

Oct 6, 2002
    is the sr405 good?

2. I had an SR400 and I didn't like it. Too narrow of a neck, and I didn't like the electronics. Also, I found the stability of the neck to be less than desireable.

I guess it depends how you qualify good. Good for the money? Maybe. Good bass in general? I would say no. I would suggest that there are other basses in the same price range that are better.

Geoff

3. I had a SR600, neck was less than stable and couldn't get rid of it quick enough...having said that some people love their soundgears...and Ibanez does make some killer stuff, my SR600 just wasn't one of them.

4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I have to agree with the previous neck stability comments. I have owned 2 soundgears (SR800 & SR950) and had neck issues with both. Never tried the model you're asking about tho.

5. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I had a SR405, the key word is HAD. String spacing too close, not the best tone, B string was like a rubber band (tried different string brands).

Get a BTB series. 35" scale gives much better B string. Better tone, balance and feel. Much nicer instrument IMHO.

6. I'll speak for the BTB series. I have a BTB405 and really like it. It has a full body and a substantial neck, but that's what I was looking for. As an additional note, I've settled on Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats for strings. The T-I strings do fit the BTB (just barely though on the "B" string) even though the strings are said to be for a 34" scale.

7. i have a pair of ATKs that are awesome! I have never been a fan of SR's but i know a lot of folks who were disappointed when the necks and electronics started having issues. Conversely, I hear that the SRX's are a different story.

I hope that helps.

8. I have two Ibanez SR800's and are still the only basses that fit me. I've played all types and none have come close to my Ibanez's. Depending on temperature and humidity I learned how to adjust my neck every time I change my playing location. I keep the strings extremely low and most people have a hard time playing my girls. But for me they're heaven.

9. ferd315

ferd315

Sep 20, 2001
    Us, Fl, Tampa
    I used to own a SR405, but upgraded to a SR3005, I also have a SR885. The only thing I didn't like about the 405 was that the neck didn't go in to the body as deeply as the 3005 or 885, meaning less stable. I play with low action and tuned to "C" So the neck was a little flimsy. I also played 130-105-50 strings, they were heavier. I changed to 125-45 and it was fine. The electronics sound good, the resale value isn't great though.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm with Ferd and Geo. Have two SR's and love them both. My main axe right now is an SR305. The most comfortable neck I've every played. The electronics don't exactly set the world on fire, but it gets the job done. I've played everything with this bass: Rock, Blues, Country, Jazz, Latin, Swing, Metal, ect. I was at a jam session were I had free access to an Alembic Mark King model. I actually played the Alembic for one song, and put it down to pick up my SR305 again. (nothing against the Alembic, but I love my SR despite the less than great electronics) It will probaly go into retirement when I get my Carvin LB75.

Have an SR400 fretless. (This was my first "professional" level bass) I finally slapped a set of tapewounds on it a few months ago and found the sound I have been looking for, for years. Unfortunatley, I haven't played it in a while do to the D and G strings being very badly out of intonation. I plan on getting them tuned in once I get a chance. I have to give props to Ibanez for making production line UNlined fretlesses. It's getting very annoying that most production line companies aren't offering unlined models.

Personally, I'm sick of hearing all of this bashing of Ibanez basses. I seriously think a lot of it has to do with Fieldy and other similar players playing them. I'm sure if Chuck Rainey or Jack Bruce used Ibanez, they wouldn't get the bad rap that they do. I do feel that there's probaly people that look in my profile and dismiss me as a wannabe or something because I play Ibanez basses...........or maybe I'm just being paraniod and making up things in my head? :p ;)