Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kaiser_guy, Jul 2, 2004.

1. kaiser_guy

kaiser_guy

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm getting a bass guitar and it seems the best value one on the net is an Ibanez bass and 15W amp for $275. Are Ibanez basses any good and does anyone have any better deals on the web.

2. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Ibanez basses are great.The best value for the money.I use an SRX-500, but I may get an SRX-700 because it is a little better bass.I have and do own many Fenders, G&L'S, and Musicman basses, and I use the Ibanez.I hope that says something.They are very reasonably priced and many people equate that with being cheap, and that is not the case.Try several different models, and get the best one you can afford, you may never have to upgrade if you choose right the first time. Good luck.

3. Yes, for less that $1000 (less than $1500 for the Prestige basses), Ibanez is one of the best, if not THE best basses made in that price range. I currently own 4 Ibanez basses: an SRX300 4 string, an SR405 5 string, an SR406 6 string, and an SR506 6 string fretless, and I love each and every one of them :cool:

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have a SR300DX that was my first bass. In the begining, I thought it was decent. Only when I tried some better basses (though lefties here are very rare) and got my Warwick Corvette 6 did I realise that it was not that good... or to say it was not good at all...

The main problems were:
    - cheap and bad wood ("agathis") that sounds very dull and unlively
    - downright bad electronics - only the volume knob had some audible effect on the tone
    - very thin neck that lacked a bit of stability
    - G string was loose in the bridge
    - some more details like: the pickups were resting on a piece of black sponge, therefore height-adjustment was in vain; came with bad strings that made it even duller

Maybe since then Ibanez has improved their basses, but I would rather stay away from them...

However, the Warwick Rockbass series that i've tried were quite good for their price - but they might be out of your price range...
    Dont forget: you get what you pay for, so rather save up a bit more and get a better bass than be stuck with a bad bass that takes all the joy from playing it

5. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I'm an Ibanez nut, but was never fond of the cheaper basses.
    Especially the cheaper soundgears.

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have an Ibanez too and I like it. You will find a lot of opinions. About Ibanez in here.

Look at it this way. If that Ibanez is going to get you started playing bass than go for it. You will have plenty of time after you become a better player to decide what type of bass tone you like and ten you can go buy a Warwick, Fender or whatever you like.

As for you original question, you did not say what model Ibanez it is. I can say that if it's one of the GSR models it's not bad at all. My daughter has had one for two years and has not a single problem with it.

She plays a Fender Mexican Jazz now but kept her Ibanez as a back up. She still likes the Ibanez and still plays it but the Jazz is her primary bass now.

7. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    I own an Ibanez SR765 and i love it! wonderful bass and great quality. I've owned the SR405 in the past aswell, that too was a great bass.

You might be able to find cheaper ibanez basses here...

www.guitarbargain.com

OR

www.music123.com

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I went from a Fender Mexican Jazz to an Ibanez BTB 510....LOVE IT!!!!!

9. I wasn't fond of my EDB 400, so I traded it in as partial payment on the MM S.U.B. I have now. However, the BTB 405QM I tried was sweet, very sweet. Great tone and very versatile.

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I had on once and it had excellent playability and the fit and finish were nice. However, the tone didn't work for me so I sold it. I wish I had kept it now. I could have swapped the pups and the bridge and I probably would have loved it.

I don't know of any decent bass/amp combo deals that would suit you. You can check Musicians Friend to see their combos.

Maybe buy an SX bass from Rondo Music and that should leave you about $100 to spend on an amp. You can get a used amp. I only paid $80 for my Peavey Basic60 combo amp. These, ofcourse, are just some ideas.

11. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Ibanez basses run the gamut from so-so to awesome. I still have my Ibanez TRB105 from 9 years ago. Not a great bass, but not bad either.

Still, in the entry-level bass market, there are other options as well. ESP's LTD basses in the lower price bracket are said to be very good quality.

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have an SRX505, I love the looks of it and really, really love how well it plays, but the electronics are on the weak side with regard to output and tonal choices.

For the money, though, it ain't bad at all.

13. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Nothing wrong with Ibanez in my opinion. I play a SR505 and I like it very much. In the past I have owed an SR400 and my first bass was the older style SR500, which I wish I still had. Also, my first real guitar was an Ibanez.

They get knocked sometimes by people, but I have never been disappointed by them. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

14. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    ibanez basses are spectacular dude, i got a friend thats an excellent bass player and he has an ibanez worth more than his car, its great, its worked great for him for a long time now.

as for the amp, u should go for more than 15w. my first amp was a 10w and it sucked huge nuts. it blew. u might want a better amp.

rock on dude :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

15. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    although watts arent the only thing u look for in an amp

16. I totally agree. My friend bought an Ibanez Soundwave 65w practice amp that's pretty awesome, so I'd definitely look into that, too.

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

18. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    i had a soundgear 885 with emg`s - built very well, comfortable and lightweight, but it just didn`t had any useable sounds for me. probably due to the size and quality of the wood used. thin, muddy bottom.

recently I`ve played a new srx 500 with two mm-style humbuckers, and it was a good bass. not-so-perfect fretwork, but it sounded good enought to gig with it. much better.

19. DarrinG

DarrinG

May 10, 2004
    NC
    It seems that "Ibanez" is usually a dirty word around here :meh: You will see alot of guys here that play and endorse nothing but basses in the 2,000 buck range and in reality thats way out of most folks price range, me included. The guys and gals that play as a hobby or sit on the porch and jam a little with friends for enjoyment only will never be interested in a custom, mega-bucks bass!

That being said first, I am currently playing an Ibanez GSR200. I bought the bass brand new for $200. The guitar has been played alot and has stood up to my playing so far very well. It has decent tone, a nice low action and a fast, slim neck (which I like). However, when buying a low-end bass (in ANY brand), sit and play several in the same line until you find one that has the best feel and tone. The lower-end guitars will vary, often alot, from one to the next. I played several until I found the one that hit me the best, shelled out 200 bucks and have been happily playing it ever since. I am saving a few dollars when possible to buy a Fender Jazz, but in the meantime my little red Ibanez is doing just fine! :D

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, what some of us have found, through experience, is that a lot of the Ibanez Soundgear basses have inferior tone, even when compared with basses in their price range. I have a pretty transparent teal Ibanez 6 string. It is pretty playable, for a 6. It cost me around $700 new, several years ago. It is the worst sounding bass that I own. I have a $99 SX P copy that sounds better than it does, and 4 other basses that cost the same or less money that sound better than it does. Two of them, a Peavey Foundation and a Lakland Skyline, absolutely destroy it in terms of tone.