Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ASR, Apr 13, 2001.

1. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Okay. I see a lot of Ibanez bashing going on here. I have been a guitarist for 11 years, and I love Ibanez guitars, so when I decided to play bass, I bought an Ibanez. I am trying to decide on a new bass, and I was thinking Ibanez, but after all the comments I have seen here, I may re-evaluate. Can I get some feedback on why the Ibanez bashers don't like them?

2. go out and try one out...i've read what ppl have been saying here also. So, i went to GC and tried a Soundgear out (SR-405)...i loved it...the neck felt like Heaven and the sound was just what i was looking for...i think the reason why ppl don't like it is because they play jazz or blues a lot...a Soundgear isn't that kind of bass (don't be fooled by Gary Willis, his SDGR is modded like hell).

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, Ibanez guitars are great! But this does not apply to basses in the same amount.
    The only Ibanez bass that I have actually liked a lot is the ATK300.

Why Ibanez basses arent so good?

-Poor wood selection. Most Ibanez SoundGears were made of Basswood (SR800,SR1000) wich is a wood that sucks. Also, because they mass produce them in Korea(most of em) they pickup almost any piece of wood, it could be crap or it could be very nice.
    This is something to worry, especially when thinking of neck wood.

-Bad Electronics. The Electronics on the 2 Band EQ are almost usuable but very weak. The Vari-Mid tone control is the most horrible thing I have ever used in my life.
    The electronics on the ATK were another story, they did sound.

-Cheap Pickups. MightyMite DX and ADX pickups are not very clear and I personally dont like the sound.

The Ibanez BTB series seem to be the Ibanez name salvation, as they have proved to be better than the other series that they sell.
    In fact, Im beggining to think that "BTB" means "BeTter Bass"

4. You may want to do a search for all the Ibanez threads.There are alot of opinions and much information out there! :)

My EDC700 is a decent bass for the money.I love the slim necks on Ibanez basses.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Ibanez is ok, there's always a trade off between playing fast and sound quality.

You have a thicker, fuller neck, you're gonna get a better sound out of it. Ibanez uses narrow necks, which play quicker, but aren't neccessarily better in the aspect of overall sound quality.

As far as the comments on pickups and onboard EQ's? That's just idiotic, the majority of people who buy basses either add or replace the EQ's and pickups anyway. (as far as I've read atleast)

So that's not too bad.
    Just try one out, and see if you like 'em. A lot of people seem to like the Edrogyne (sp?) and BTB series'. I suggest checking out those two.
    Although you may want to see if you can find a Fender Music Man (I think it's that or it might be Music Master?) I owned one at one point. They're short scale. It'd be easier for you to adapt from playing guitar.

Just MHO...

6. ASR, we just finished an Ibanez thread here, but if you weren't here, it's on page 3 of this forum entitled " Ibanez Bass Quality." To sum it up: Some people really like Ibanez(me) a few can't stand them, but most agree that they are good basses.

I like the Ergodynes and I might check out a BTB this weekend.

The world is getting smaller every day, so I'd just say to those who give Ibanez "thumbs down," just judge a bass by the sound that comes out of the amp. Who really cares where it's made?

Who can really do anything about it?

Gotta Go, Happy Easter all.

Mike J.

7. I like Ibanez. Everyone I've played (except for one poorly setup specimen), I have loved, and that's alot, because I've tried every one I could play at 2 of my local music shops.

The electronics sounded fine to me, even when played through a guitar amp. Very clear, defined tone. The EQ gave a variety of tones, and the pickups aren't the greatest thing in the world, but they sounded damn good and you could always replace them if you wanted.

The basses I've tried were nice and lightweight and balanced nicely. On a few basses, I experienced some fret buzz when attacked hard, which can be eliminated with a tweak of the bridge or truss rod. I've tried mostly soundgears, and the bodies are small (which I like, you may not). The only Ibanez which I didn't like right away was an SR305 that was most likely poorly setup. The sound was fine, but it felt like crap because the action was way too low and the strings were floppy.

Overall, thumbs up for Ibanez!

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am considering replacing the preamp on my SR506 because it sounds so crappy, but my Peavey, Electra-Westone, Fender, Pedulla and Zon all sound great the way they are, wouldn't dream of modifying any of them except maybe putting a J retro preamp in the Jazz for versatility. It sounds great with no preamp, but I could get more useful tones with bass and treble boost.

9. IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT KIND OF SOUND YOU WANT!!!

it's not whether it has a GOOD or CRAPPY sound...it's all in what your ears like!!!

let's leave it at that, ok!

10. my opinion on ibanez basses.

ATK series - Good basses, too bad they are discontinued in the U.S.

BTB - AWESOME bass. their B string is very tight. Could very well be Ibanez's last prayer for good bass quality

Ergodyne - They are good for the dough, but for a little more you can get a BTB

SDGR - ok basses. The way SDGR's are though is one of them can be awesome and and one suck really bad and still be of the same model.

GSR - if your a beginner bassist and lookin for a first bass, this is definatly somethin to consider. currently the only bass own is the GSR190 which is a good beginner bass, but shouldnt even be considered when looking for a second bass. If i had money at my disposal, i would get a new bass, but until i do my GSR will have to do.

all of this IMO of course.

11. I'd LOVE to know where you get your info. ;)

Majority? Where did you read that? Really. :)

As far as Ibanez basses, I wish I could find something good to say about them. Never had one, although when trying them in music stores they did little to impress me. Basically, anytime I've seen a band where the bassist played an Ibanez I thought to myself, "Ya know, that guy would sound 100 times better if he played a REAL bass". (apologies to Ibanez players! :))

Ooh boy! This was my devilish post! (#666) :D

12. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I don't think most agree they are good basses. I think it would be more appropriate to say that they a good, or decent basses for the money. On this board good means Stingrays and 7 string double-necked fretted/frettless Conklins (hehe..JT ;)) and all those other thousand dollar basses.

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    No, on this board money means it's good. Not sound quality. If 5 people would start saying cort's were good, everyone would rush out and buy all the corts and agree. People don't realize that the majority of the cost in a bass is because of how much the parts cost, which is decided by rarity. Gold hardware's expensive, but is it really better than chrome? Gold's soft, you could scratch it with your finger nail. Honestly, it's about what YOU like. I'm not a Ibanez fan, but depending on the style, and so fourth they can sound REALLY good.

A $4000 bass isn't going to make you sound good, technique makes you sound good. If you set Jaco up with a Squire with worn down strings, and a little hartke practice amp I bet he'd still kill all of us.
    It's not really a matter of what you play, it's a matter of how you play. I'd consider Ibanez a good company, their basses aren't gonna break if you don't abuse them. (dropping, or trying to throw them around your body... etc. etc.)

Anyone who says Ibanez is a bad company is just speaking from their own experiences.

If you ask for opinions on here, you're not gonna get an honest one. It's just gonna be people saying "Get a Stingray", "Get a Lakland", "Get a Cort Curbrow", "Get a Fender".

That's seriously about all you hear people talking about. So, if you want a bass to show all your friends and say "This costs $5000". I'll sell you a Squire for 5k.

And stingray? I'd love to know why you're bashing Ibanez. Just because YOU don't like them. Have you heard someone you enjoy ever play one?
    I'm sure you have.

Matt Freeman uses an Ibanez, and I'm willing to bet none of you can compare to him.

If you think you can, feel free to e-mail me your bass line that's better than any of his. (for a rancid or operation ivy song)

End of Discussion.

14. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    I love Ibanez basses. Very thin necks, small body and are very sexy looking. lol.

I'm getting an Ibanez SR885 very soon. I can't wait.

15. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Absolutely not True!!
    I have 2 Cort Curbows and have recommended them to everybody, they are cheap but good sounding basses..
    Look for example at Angus, he has basses that cost up to $3000 but he does recommend the BTB.

John Turner has Basses that go Sky high in quality and price, and he recommends the Groove Tools wich are made in Korea and are very good.

Etc etc...

Its not about money!! Its about OVERALL Quality.

...People don't realize that the majority of the cost in a bass is because of how much the parts cost, which is decided by rarity. Gold hardware's expensive, but is it really better than chrome? Gold's soft, you could scratch it with your finger nail.

Ohh God!! Do you think GOLD Hardware is made of GOLD? And Chrome Hardware made from STEEL?
    Normally BOTH would be of the SAME MATERIAL, the difference is in the FINISH.
    And GOLD HARDWARE is NOT expensive if you bought it as a replacement, it costs more when buying in a bass because the Factory wants to make you believe that makes it more expensive!!

A $4000 bass isn't going to make you sound good, technique makes you sound good.

Agree in part of it.
    A good bass can IMPROVE your playing, as happened to me when I switched from a $100 bass to an Ibanez ATK, and improved again when switched to my Cort Curbow 6 String.
    Also, better playing, better sounding.

Anyone who says Ibanez is a bad company is just speaking from their own experiences.

So do you want us to speak about OTHER people´s experiences rather than our own?
    I absolutely LOVED my Ibanez ATK300, but any SR bass has crappy stuff in it.

If you ask for opinions on here, you're not gonna get an honest one. It's just gonna be people saying "Get a Stingray", "Get a Lakland", "Get a Cort Curbrow", "Get a Fender".

THOSE ARE HONEST opinions, they are biased from own experiences maybe, but not because they are being sponsored, that would become a NON-Honest opinion.

Matt Freeman uses an Ibanez, and I'm willing to bet none of you can compare to him.

LOL!! I have nothing to say about this...
    He may be a good Punk bass player, but thats it, no more.
    I wont say that many of us here could play better than him, because Its stupid to compare what player is best, thats too subjective.

Overall, Ibanez basses are CONSUMER-Oriented instruments.
    They have a marketing technique in wich they sponsor Fieldy, MATT FREEMAN, Gary Willis , etc etc. That is making you think.. OHHH he plays one of those.. those are for sure GREAT BASSES.
    See my point?

In my case, I prefeer a Handmade bass, and thanks to David im about to get one.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rafterman, I'm not trying to make people mad, I am just pointing out that there are much better sounding basses for the money than Ibanez Soundgears.

For example my Peavey Foundation only cost $359.00 new and is now probably worth $150, because it's over 10 years old and beat up, but it sounds much better than my Ibanez SR 506. It's not just my opinion, everyone that I have ever played the Ibanez with complained about the sound being thin and not having enough bass. I don't have the problem with the cheapo Peavey, or any of my other 4 basses.

I love the Soundgear, it has a fast neck, and looks sweet. The only things that I don't like about it are the tone and the string spacing. The string spacing is too narrow.

I was going to replace the preamp in the bass to get better tone, but I am starting to consider just selling it and getting a better sounding 6 with the wider spacing that I like.

Guess what I am thinking of getting? An Ibanez BTB406! So I don't think that all Ibanez sound bad. Just the Soundgears. The BTBs are awesome for the price, they blow the Soundgears out of the water. So do the Ibanez ATK basses, which unfortunately are no longer imported to the USA.

Anyway, no offense intended([​IMG]), but I think that you will find that 90% of all people who bought a Soundgear and then heard how good other basses sound, wish that they hadn't bought an Ibanez at all. The Soundgear line has darned near ruined the Ibanez name for most bassists.

17. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I wasn't bashing Ibanez. Settle down. I own an Ibanez and I happan to like it!!!!! I said they were good basses for the price. I was just emphazing that there are lots of great sounding basses out there that happan to cost a lot.

I'm sorry if I have offended you. Calm down though.

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    haha. Notice how it was meant for "stingray" not you?

But since you mentioned it. Some people don't think you need to spend a grand just got get a good bass. You know there's plenty of people who don't consider cost while getting a bass. For instance, when I go bass shopping, I don't look at the price tag, I just pick up the ones I think look like they'd sound good, and try 'em out.
    After I make my decision, I look at the price tag.

19. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Well I'm sorry if I was confused. But you did quote me and then start going off on a little rampage. When you said Stringray I thought you were referring to when I mentioned Stringrays. Sorry bout that.

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Luis, thanks for mentioning me! :) I would definitely recommend the BTB! With some SD Basslines/Barts and an ebony board, that would be the perfect bass! Very very good bass for the money.

Crawling Eye, im sorry, but that was those were the most useless arguments ive ever heard in my entire life. I entered too late to comment on every single point (Luis got there first), but i dont see what the point of any of the comments about things being subjective was, and most all of the rest of it was either biased/hypocritical, or just plain uneducated (if gold hardware was really gold...:eek: ). Please, i dont mean to flame at all, but think about what you say before you type it.

And what makes Matt Freeman's opinion so much more valid than everyone else? Because he doesn't always play root notes? Come on, i think you know better than that, especially not to judge a person you don't know over the internet on their playing. BTW, I think there are a LOT of players here better than Matt Freeman. Just so you know. ;)

"End of Discussion." ;)