Ibanez basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StringsOf4, Jan 5, 2006.

1. StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Can anyone tell me which ibanez basses are passive? (any number of strings, any price) I've gone to their site but all the specs give strange model names to electronics, I can't tell which are passive or active. Thanks.

2. If there are strange model names to the electronics then they are active, that's the preamp thats used in the model

I dont think Ibanez make many passive instruments now, but i could be wrong
  3. the artcore, gsr, gaxb, iceman, and RD300 all look passive to me. there could be more, but by looking at the models blindly that looks like its it. maybe a few soundgear's are
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I believe you pretty much nailed it.
  5. FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    I think even the GSR200's have some sort of active boost now as well...
  6. StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    I've pretty much played fender-style basses exclusively since I've started playing. I had and ibanez sr400 briefly but returned it because the active electronics made me nervous, i thought they'd either die mid-gig or the little battery clip would break when swapping batteries (those 9v clips always feel so cheap), also, the jack was messed up, but thats beside the point. can you give me any advice to ease the fear of active electronics? IMO ibanezes (ibani?) have the perfect necks and sound amazing but the actives keep me from enjoying them. thanks.

7. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Active's aren't so hard to deal with. Sure, sometimes the battery clip feels cheap, but as long as you don't pull it by the wires, you won't have a problem. As far as the battery dying goes, you'll know when it's time to change the battery. You lose headroom before it dies..but not immediately before, more like at least a week or so (never played it till it died). Anyhow, if you do invest in an active bass, try to find one with a separate battery cover, and always keep a spare 9v battery in your box 'o goodies for gigs.
  8. yeah they have an active boost
  9. MR.ATK

Jan 6, 2006
    i have an ATK and i know forsure that puppy has active pickups.. and its nearly...8 years old i think now..
  10. yup, it probably is :p

The ATK-100 was the only passive ATK IIRC

This guy's looking at current basses tho . . . ATK's are sweet tho :D
  11. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ibanez discontinued a great bass built in their Japanese factory. It was the RKB. This was a fine passive, meat-n-potatoes bass. Nice chunky neck, alder slab body, Seymour Quarter Ponder P&J pickups, Badass II bridge; all around high quality understated bass. Think of it as a very good, pre-customized Fender P. It came in black and sunburst. I lean more to the black finished model (a nice contrast with that maple fingerboard). Have a look:

If you can find one, nab it! Being discontinued may make it challenging to find however it also will likely be far less expensive than it was when it was still in the Ibanez catalog.

12. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    my TR600 has an active/passive switch......
  13. I wouldn't worry about using active basses from a failure standpoint.

Active preamps are realiable enough to be used by a whole lot of people where failure is not an option; working pros stake their careers on em all the time (though probably with a backup for any number of possible problems).

While of course you, like many players, may prefer the passive sound, I've found that my active preamp with judicious use of boost has opened up a lot of sonic possibilities that I just didn't have with passive P style axe.

14. I play an SR400 - it's passive. I bought mine used, so I just checked the Ibanez site to see if the newer models are active. There's nothing in the description to make me think they have active electronics. (Although I would like to eventually upgrade my electronics because I get that single coil hum from the J pickup). I'm one of those people that prefer a passive sound.
  15. StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    My mistake, it was an sr 300dx, but the 400 looks mighty fine, you say it's passive? hmmmm.....
  16. Umm, you might want to post your model year, or recheck which type of bass you have. I have an SR406, and it is most definately active.

17. i have extensivly played a 1996 or 97 sr400 and it is active. as far as i konw all the basses that ibanez makes now are active, but --as stated before -- some have a active/passive switch of some sort.

i play ibanez almost exclusivly and they are THE best bass for the money. my sr305dx plays better than some $3000 basses that i have played and with the active onboard EQ (no the pickups are not active, its the preamp) you can get almost any tone that you want with a little tweeking. Purly AMAZING basses

EDIT: i just found an ibanez bass that has passive everything, its the GSR100
  18. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    btb's have passive pickups
  19. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    True, but it has an active preamp.

20. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    My little blurb about the Ibanez RBK seem sto have gone un-noticed. Oh well, I'll try not to take it too personally. But with all this talk about the SR 400, I felt compelled to mentioned the discontinued RBK one more time. This was a kick-ass bass with US Seymour Quarter Pounder PJs and high quality hardware made in Japan. It was only dicontinued over the past year or so and I'm baffled as to why this puppy didn't catch on. There is no comparing the SR 400 and other low tier SRs to the RBK; this is an amazing axe and totally passive. If a totally passive Ibanez is what yr looking for, shop around eBay and else where and get yr hands on one; you won't be disappointed!