Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DJCrashAL01, Jul 14, 2002.

1. DJCrashAL01

DJCrashAL01

Jul 11, 2002
    Wyoming, MI
    Hey, i'm a beginner looking for a good bass to start out with. I found this black Ibanez bass for $180, and i'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with Ibanez basses, if they are good or what not. That's all, thanks.

2. What model?

Ibanez makes several models of bass,some nicer than others.My first bass was an Ibanez GSR190 not a bad bass to begin on;slim neck.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, some are good, some aren't. the best thing to do is to actually get out and play that bass and see if the sound is what you're looking for, is set up correctly and is comfortable to your hands. personally, i don't like them because of the narow string spacing.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, they are generally light, and have slim necks (which some people abhor), but they aren't bad basses. Great starters, IF you get a good one. The quality control isn't what it used to be, so some can be solid starter basses, others are piles of scrap.

Play it it. If you like it, go ahead and buy it.

5. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I have a SR-305DX. Great bass, except for the active pick ups, I'd like to change to passive(but that's just me).

6. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Back in 1993 i bought my first bass, an Ibanez SDGR 800; a great bass for starting, with good elecrtonics and poor woods; able to give a modern sound.
    The used market is full of them, try one

7. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    "A black Ibanez Bass for $180 " is pretty vague , it all depends what it is , generally Ibanez Basses are pretty good value , is it a "light as" soundgear or a "heavy as" old Roadstar ? , or Roadster ? or Roadster II , whatever it is, put new strings on it , set the action/harmonics/pickups , if youre a good player , any old heap of s#*# should sound half decent ....good luck !.....[ good amp i hope ! ]