Ibanez basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Zebraface, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Hi has anyone ever played/owned a Ibanez GSR 200? I thinking of buying one, but will it be better than a Squier bass? I have played a SGR before, and i like the shape and sound of it.

Opinions and replys greatly appreciated!
  2. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I don't know about a SR 200, but I love my SR 305-DX. Best low priced 5 string I know of!
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I own one. Here's the secret: PLAY IT FIRST. Ibanez is perfectly capable of producing a good entry level instrument (here comes the catch!) BUT, their quality control is absolutely horrid. There's some good basses, and some firewood the likes of which only Wishnevesky and BC Rich have seen.

So, yes, it's worth it, IF you find a good one first. If you can't play it first, then go with a Yamaha. Seriously underrated basses.
    In fact, just go with the Yamaha.
  4. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    From my earlier reply on the same topic:

I had one as my first bass earlier this year. They are rated by some outfit as one of the top 5 starter basses based on quality vs price. At 200 bucks brand new it was a great bass, however it was definitely a 200 dollar bass. The sound is loud enough and has great sustain but has no warmth or character to it. The tone control didn't seem to do much at all. Overall though, for 200 bucks off the shelf, it can hold it's own. I recently picked one up to try out again while at Guitar Center and after playing a Fender MIA for awhile, the Ibanez just felt flimsy. I was very pleased with it at the time however and it was a great bass to cut my teeth on.

Here's that top 5 starter bass rating I mentioned:

And here's a bunch of user reviews on Harmony Central:

5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Amen on that bro. I love my 305. Only complaint I have is it's impossible to get low action on it. (cheap fretwork I presume) It's been a great workhorse bass.
  6. AMEN! Brother i say to you....Yamaha entry levels rule!!!

(See avatar)
  7. HELL YEAH! I'm so glad i chose my first bass to be a Yamaha RBX270 :D
  8. I'm not too sure about the GSR 200, but my frist bass was a GSR 100. It was an alright bass, but I later sold it and bought my Squier P-Bass Special which IMO was MUCH better. My advice is just to try some out. I'm sure some of the more expensive Ibanez's are better than the cheaper one I bought.
  9. ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    go with a better bass if you possibly can. I own one, hated it, and was about to sell it for 100. I instead kept it and made it into my first fretless. That is now it's only virtue. I personally hate the body contour. A bass should not look like a pussy (cat).