Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Basses????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arther daily, Oct 18, 2000.

1. I went window shopping with intent the other day and tried out 3 Ibanez basses.

THe most expensive ebing the new Ibanez bass with the independant bridge saddles for each string. It cost about £900 (a fair amount of cash!) and in my opinion played like a piece of soggy drift wood.

I also tried an SDGR which was even worse.

What does everyone else think of Ibanez basses?

I play a Stingray, which after trying out many other basses the other day seemed the most responsive and 'alive' bass I've ever laid my hands on (apart from my...errr... nevermind).

2. Couldn’t agree more.
    Once I got into Stingray’s very few basses came near, except maybe my Pedulla MVP as a second choice. Have never tried a Sadowsky or Lakland which I hear are the dogs b......s. [​IMG]

3. I'm going out on a limb here.

I also tried (fairly briefly)

A few Warwicks: thumb, fortress one, corvette, fna (is that what they're called).

I must say I was totally unimpressed: I could feel the neck and body laminates with my fingers. There were really big ridges! (1/4mm sort of size).!

They were also very, very heavy (especially the thumb) and not 'alive' - I guess they must have some amazing tone when you play them through a half decent amp. I was playing them through som ****ty little combo or through no amp at all. I find that if a bass isn't nice to play without an amp, it wont be nice with one!?

I tried a fretless Stingray too.... and now i want one!

Gotta start saving up again!!!

4. I had a new 1990 Thumb through neck and must admit it was the best bass I had ever owned until I got my first Stingray, then after I got my Anniversary S/Ray I just didn't want to play the Thumb anymore and eventually sold it.
    IMO the general quality of Warwick’s is not quite as good since they started making bolt neck basses, at least I have found that with the few I’ve tried since and I’ve owned a total of five over the last few years.

I loved that original Thumb, in fact I even sold a '63 Jazz a few months after getting it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that so far I haven’t found anything that I like better than my Stingray’s.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I played an Ibanez Blazer Bass for almost 20 years and bought it used for $150. While it was a "block of wood," the body was swamp ash and it played and sounded just great. It was even better in recordings and really cut through the mix. I got a MIA Precision to replace it but the sound was much better on the Ibanez so I eventually sold the Fender. I now have the Deluxe MIA Jazz and am eagerly waiting for delivery of my Kinal bass.

I gave the Ibanez to some musicians on the Big Island of Hawaii this summer to thank them after we had a great jam session on the beach at Punaluu. I miss it sometimes but it gave me years of pleasure and I felt that it was time to move on.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I totally agree with you about Ibanez, I own an Ibanez Sr805 and cant stand it. The B strings loose, the tone pretty much stinks, and they are poorly constructed. I am very atimate that all Ibanez bass guitars are highly over rated. I am so glad that I decided to listen to my dad and buy a Fender. I shouldve listened to him years ago and saved myself the money I wasted on the Ibanez.

[Edited by cassanova on 10-18-2000 at 06:50 PM]

7. Yeah, some Ibanez's can sound good but those are usually out of luck. For the most part, they pretty bad. My assumption, though i could be wrong, is that the individual saddles were possibly a piezo bridge. But i myself am i Stingray Fan too and i am about to put an order in in the next week or so for either a Stingray or Stingray 5 fretless with a piezo. :)

8. I've never owned or really even played a fretless. I'm kind of scared that I cant play one, but when I picked up this fretless ray in the shop the other day it just sounded so good - even if i was playing '1st time' duff notes!

It didnt have lines so it was a bit of a big change - i've asked for quote for a lined fretless in natural finish - with the piezo bridge of course! (NICE!!!)

Not sure if I can afford it, just have to wait and see how much and how long I've got to save!

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've said a few times round here that I can't really get on with the necks on Warwicks - hate them! I think a lot of people look at the catalogues and think cool, I must have one, but I have always been disappointed in those I have tried. I know a local bass player who is really good and gets a great sound out of a Streamer Stage 4-string, but every Streamer I have tried in shops in London has had an "unplayable" neck, in my experience.

10. I think you're right.

They do look fantastic, all the exotic woods and an almost organic shape, but they just don't play nice!

Hey, that's a title for a classic rock tune if ever I heard one!

It was the dead weight feeling that struck me most.
    My old bass - an old Honher-B 4 string is totally knackered, when I picked up this Warwick Thumb I expected it to be on a par with my Stingray, but it was more like my knackered old bass...dead.

So what other basses are as 'alive' as Stingrays?

Some guy up there mentioned Pedulla, but what else?

11. Bruce Lindfield

You want to get over to the Bass Centre on Wapping High Street - just by Wapping tube station. I guarantee you that they will have dozens of basses that sound better or similar to Stingrays! They advertise that they alway have 50 MMs in stock anyway. But the makes they do have usually are - Alembic, Wal, Lakland, Tobias, Spector, Dingwall, Ken Smith, Modulus, Sadowsky (occasionally),Steinberger, Status (if you think Stingrays are "alive" you haven't tried a Status - too alive for me!) , Tune, Zon, Vigier, and probably a dozen other that I've forgotten! Bass Heaven! ;)

12. NO, I DON'T!

If I go over there I'll be poor for the rest of my life!

I will make a visit soon I think... What's that? I can hear someone screaming...must be my bank manager!

13. Bruce Lindfield

I'll just say one thing - "Two Years Interest Free Credit! That's the second best thing about the shop. ;)

14. Aaaaah! You Git!

Godammit, I'm gonna be a slave to the bank for the rest for my pathetic little life!

15. Totally agree. The Bass Centre is the best bass gear supplier I have ever been to.
    Bought loads of gear there over the years. Grant, Alex & Nick are all very helpful and offer excellent advice. Their prices are also pretty competitive, plus they will haggle.
    The only problem is parking, although its is opposite Wapping tube.

Never had the courage to try any Laklands or Sadowsky’s at the Bass Centre because of my GAS addiction :D

[Edited by Spike on 10-19-2000 at 07:53 AM]

16. Although I'm not much of an environmentalist I dont believe in driving when I can use public transport. I feel that the intrernal combustion engine is raping the Earth. Sometimes people forget that we don't own the Earth and that all the 1000's of billions of other species we share it with have just as much right to be here as we do, but they cant argue with us and we're destoying it with cars.

In short, I cant drive!

Right then that's settled it: I'm going up there in a week or so and I'm gonna come back with a new bass on interest free credit!

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    The Warwicks i've tried [whole wall of them @ Gutiar Works] (approx. 15 basses] 2 felt good a 6 [neck was a bit wider than normal] & a 4 [neck felt like a 5 in width] they look kind cool. Ibanez, i've tried a whole rack of them @ the same place [9basses] one of the soundgear 6s & i think an ergodyne 6 felt good. the rest felt terrible. On the Earth thing, @ this rate by the time my grandkids [i'm 14 so no kids for @ least 10 years] we will have to make a major change in cleaning up the air & stuff or else it will become to toxic to live here & the eventual self destruction will have occured maybe after i have grandkids but it was just a time frame given. I've talked to my dad about this & we both agree that if we're not careful the Earth/people will eventually self destruct via pollution or via Nuclear War, Atomic problems & massive radiation problems. Ok so i have waaaay to much time to think now that football is over. thats all

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    About the Ibanez's: I've played a bunch of basses, and you know, I still can't say enough good things about my Ibanez GSR200. I've played MusicMan's Pedulla's, Conklins, Warwicks, and nothing is as good to me as the Ibanez GRS200 I have. However I have played otehr Ibanez's and I'm in accord with most people opinions. Ibanez is hit and miss. On whole, I think they miss, but I have bottom of the barrel one that is a hit for me. On whole they suck, but I wouldn't trade my GSR for anything. As far as Ibanez goes, I'd have to say on whole that tehy aren't something to shop for. Go for something else, but there are exceptions, like the one I own. On whole, I'm not on the Ibanez bandwagon.

19. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    as a former guitarist [still am BTW, depending on the gig] i've always liked Ibanez's mid-high priced guitars above all other guitars. something about the wizard neck's extremely fast playability. so when the time came for a new bass, i looked @ Ibanez and got the SR885. it had the sexiest look IMO, besides, it was in my price range. it sounds and plays great for me, then again the only other bass i had played prior to that was a POS Aria Pro II SLB.

20. My views on the Ibanez:

I own one and the only thing I don't like about it is the click if you pluck it hard (it's 24 fret, what do you expect?). However, I still like it. She looks very sexy and I'm getting very comfortable. In fact, with the amp that I have and the bass lines I'm working on, I'm making my Ibanez sound like and I'm playing it like a Fender-P! :).

But again, it's a matter of opinion.

Derek J. Power