Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Basses....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Renegade_snoopy, Dec 9, 2000.

1. Renegade_snoopy

Renegade_snoopy

Dec 9, 2000
    I recently bought an Ibanez Soundgear 200 with the P and J pickups. I'm pretty happy with it, but I get this weird tone, and I don't know if it's my strings or what. It's like a buzzing metal kind of thing going on. I play alot of jazz and it just doesn't sound mellow enough. I don't know what the deal is. Maybe it's my strings, since I have no idea what kind of strings are on there. Anything you can tell me would be a HUGE help. Thanks

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Uuhhhhhh ... oh, never mind.

3. Hey Snoopy,

Is the buzz a constant buzz or on and off?I bought an Ibanez GSR190,it was part of the jumpstart beginner pack,and had that problem.I replaced the cord with a beefier one and that stoped that.

I take it you already have an amp/etc.?The small 10 watt practice amp that came with my Soundgear was prone to extra noise and buzzing. Try adjusting/tweaking the settings on your amp/bass,this may help to minimize any excess noise(it helped with mine).

Don`t fret!(no pun intended)I am sure some of the senior members here can give you some helpful info.I`m pretty much a newbie(6 months) but had to put in my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck!
    Usul

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Sounds like it could just be fret buzz, try raising the action at the bridge using an allen wrench making only 1/4 turns at a time and see if it goes away, i did that many a time with my basses when i hear a buzz and it usually cures the problem, some times you have to snap the neck too, but only twice in 15 years did i actually have to snap the neck to add some relief to cure the problem.

5. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    You said weird tone? Then its probably just your bass. Ive got the exact same one as you and I love it. Im stringing mine with Earnie Ball Slinkys and they work great. Make sure your playing with a thick string gauge. Also, mess with around your with your controls on the bass. If you turn all of the controls to your right, you might get a slight buzzing tone when your fingers are not touching the strings. Also, check to make sure your cords is clean.

6. Renegade_snoopy

Renegade_snoopy

Dec 9, 2000

Okay, I just recieved some Fender roundwounds and some Ernie Ball roundwounds too from a friend. I haven't strung them on yet, but I'm hoping that they'll work. How do I move my bridge?? I know that one comment just put this blazing sign that says Newbie on my forehead, but oh well. Yea, I have no idea how to adjust the bridge, and I also need to know what porportions I should use the P and J pickups. Like I said, I play a lot of jazz, so what would be the right pickup to use? Once again..thanks

7. lydina

lydina

Dec 12, 2000
    Hi there...

don't worry!

i could b wrong, but i think its the action of yr strings. its probably too low.

adjust action at the neck. depending on yr bass, the would b a screw either at the top of the neck or at the bottom of it. If its at the top and you cant find it, its prob hidden by the small cover. unscrew the cover and you will find a screw that can b adjusted using an allen key.

turn the screw. this would adjust the action of yr strings...which means how hard u need to press on them. the higher the action, the harder it is to play, but the less tendency for any string buzz.

So the trick is to find that spot of yrs..the perfect action which allows for playing with ease while preventing string rattle.

I hope this helps, k?

Lyd

8. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    no! wait! that's not the action [well it's related]. that would be the truss rod, you'd be adjusting the relief. bass necks are slightly bowed in comparison to guitar necks which are vitually straight. it helps with the overall action accross the fretboard. the string height [action] is adjusted on the bridge, but not the whole bridge just the string saddles. it's usually an allen screw that you turn to raise or lower the saddle, thus affecting the string height. i measure my string height on the 12th fret while fretting the 1st, from bottom of string to top of fret wire. i have mine set at aprox. 3mm on the low B and aprox. 2mm on the G. you might have to adjust the intonation after to make string height adjustments.

9. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    One more thing I would suggest would be to check the nut (in case you dont know, the nut is the plastic thing near the headstock that the strings fit into before they go on the tuners); If the spaces are too big in the nut, the strings won't sound very good. If this is it, you could contact ibanez and see if they could send you a new nut. Also, if you are using an amp, it doesnt take much to make things vibrate in the room (if you have a drop ceiling the squares can vibrate and make a metallic buzz. I am not sure if that particular model is active or passive, but if it is active your battery might be dying. Other than those things, If your strings are too low, they will buzz on the frets like a few people already said. Good Luck!!