Ibanez Binge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonedeaf, Feb 9, 2005.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

For no good reason, I've never had much of an interest in Ibanez basses, but I'm changing my tune. First step was an Ibanez ATK100, which I really enjoyed. Looks, playability, sound, the whole shot. (Got to try me an ATK300 one of these days).

Last week, I bought an Ibanez Artcore singlecut. I love this thing. Construction quality well beyond its price, looks great, plays great, sounds great. My only complaint so far is the location of the front strap button.

Looking real hard at a BTB now. Still not a big fan of the more widely known ibanez stuff (SRX etc.), but these three basses really appeal to me.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the SR3000E , thats about it though. The old musicians as well..
  3. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Yeah Bro! Ibanez basses get maligned for no good reason around here. I own a customized BTB405QM. It played like a dream from the get go. I installed a set of Barts, and Aguilar OBP3, and Hipshot Ultralite tuners in that bass and it's beyond belief now. Get one, you'll lobe it.
  4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Never thought that i'd be saying this but i'm buying a Ibanez SR-905NTF tomorrow.

I'm a vintage guy, but this is one hell of a bass.

5. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    I have an Ibanez BTB. Take a bit of time and set it up well and it plays really nice. A little on the heavy side, but its not too bad. Alot of my friends who own everything from Stingrays. Warwicks, MIA Fenders etc say that it plays as well, if not better than theirs... but i guess thats a matter of taste at the end of the day!
  6. Yeah I played a BTB today that was specially made for the NAMM show last year...it had a quilt maple top, rosewood board, and a mahogany body...it had barts in it and it sounded huuuuuge...quite the bass I must say
  7. Dude, I've got a BTB 515e. It's got the mahogany body, with a maple/bubinga neck, and the bartolini designed passive pickups and 3 band active preamp. The playability is stellar, and easily outdoes many more expensive basses. The sound can go from jammerson to claypool with ease. I've considered maybe getting some basslines put in with an aguilar 3 band preamp. I know Ibanez gets a bad wrap alot of the time, but their BTB basses at least are unquestionably high end, and have excellent craftsmanship. Definately check one out if you get the urge to. First one I played was a 405qm, and I loved it, and then I got one of the higher end ones and it is even better.
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    When I saw this thread title, I thought they were coming out with a new model... "The Ibanez Binge".

Soon to be followed by "The Ibanez Hangover" and the "Ibanez Walk of Shame".
  9. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Are we bashing Ibanez? Don't knock them 'til you try them! :D
  10. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, I have an Ibanez SR3005e, EXTREMELY nice. Holds up incredibly :D.
  11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Owner of an SR-1206, SR-800 fretless, and newly-purchased RKB900 here, and I'll always give them their due. Critiquing Ibanez is one thing, because like virtually every other bass they have faults. Downright bashing, however, is plain ignorance. It's like Bongo toilet-seat jokes, only not as funny. :smug:

I still can't understand the logic of people who recommend purchasing an SX or Brice and tossing several hundred dollars worth of upgrades needed to make it a passable instrument yet put down a solidly-built midrange Ibanez off the shelf. :eyebrow:
  12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Fieldy and all those heavy metal players that play detuned with a pick are the ones that give ibanez an "i dont like that tone" stereotipe.
  13. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Put the three of them together and we have a new variation on the old joke about having a few too many to drink and waking up naked next morning in bed next to an Ibanez.
  14. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Personally, I like Ibanez basses. My ATK kicks *ss, and I'm looking forward to getting my RKB 900 this week. I f I could, I'd get a Musician as well.

Trivia of the day: Denise Richards' character in Starship Troopers was named "Ibanez." I don't think I'd mind too much waking up next to her... as long as Charlie Sheen wasn't there... :)
  15. cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I just bought an RKB900 on clearance from Musician's Friend. It is my third Ibanez. I immediately removed the Elixirs that it came with and replaced them with D'Addario Chromes. Whoa, Nellie! I don't have a whole lot of experience playing other basses like P's and Stingrays and Ricks, but all I know is I wanted something to rock with and now I have it. $379. It is by far the nicest bass for under $400 I have ever seen, and I've looked at many. Of course, that's kind of unfair because a year ago they were selling for $900.

This is my third Ibanez bass. My first bass -- a trusty SR400 with La Bella Deep Talkin' flats. Great setup for funk, blues, hip-hop, reggae. The RKB is going to be hard to pry from my hands, but the SR400 isn't going anywhere. My second bass was an AEB10. I use it mostly for quiet practice, for which it is great. After a year, I restrung it with D'Addario Rare Phospher. Still waiting for those to mellow a bit.

I am obviously a fan of Ibanez. I bought my first bass as a complete novice. I had no knowledge that Ibanez was bashed in some circles for whatever reasons until after I bought the SR400 and later started frequenting some of the popular bass forums. For my money, they make quality products and provide great bang for the buck. I've never been too hung up on the whole "Made in Japan" vs. "Made in America" thing. To each his own.
  16. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I also bought the RKB on clearance at MF, and it defintiely SMOKES. I'm contemplating putting some TI flats on it, but I don't mind the Elixers at the moment, so I'll just wait until they die.

This is my third Ibanez as well: my very first bass was an EX 404, which I no longer have and my current main 6er is a BTB 1006e (it replaced my custom 6-string which cost twice as much, and I like the BTB better). I don't think I've ever played a bad Ibanez, as long as they've been set up decently.
  17. I have two Ibanez basses; check my profile.

Credit where credit is due. ;)

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    To be fair, they get maligned for some good reason - that being that some Ibanezes are utter crap.

That said, I like a number of the Ibanezes I've played over the years, including the Musician, the ATK and the newer RD series (underrated and well-priced in my opinion).
  19. I recently bought a RKB 900 from MF so I could retire my Les Paul, and I could'nt be happier with it. It took a bit of adjustment at the amp goinp from active to passive pickups but it has worked out really well. Just can't beat it for $350.00.
  20. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I was suprised with the SR506.. the newer mahogany/wenge model. Its got a wenge/bubinga neck and solid mahogany body with bart pu's and electronics. The tone was real growly and thick with good versatility out the the preamp/pu combo. It would do real good in a funk/r&b setting. ONLY reason I dont own one is the fact that it's spaced at 16.5mm at the bridge :meh: :rollno: