Ibanez Black Eagle Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick man, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Check out this auction!

Sure its an Ibanez, but its a really cool one.

They were in production from 1975-1977. Over the years the only difference was the design on the pickgaurd varied slightly. Theyre basically jazz basses with some souped up carving and inlays. The neck is a bit thinner though and they have been described as sounding beefier.

Ive wanted one of these basses for around 5 years now, but have had no luck on actually finding one for sale at a time where Im financially able to buy one. Yeah I only posted this link after being positive that I wouldnt be able to buy it.

Although it looks like no one has spotted this one, Ive seen the price go up to $700 even though I think I herad they sold for $300 new.

They have major cool vintage vibe.

Just though I should point that out incase there are any other people out there looking for a Black Eagle.

2. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Just a word of warning - I tried one of these when I was deciding on a new bass about 25 years ago.
    It boiled down to a choice between the Eagle, A Hagstrom and a Real Jazz.
    I picked the Jazz even though it was a lot more expensive - the eagle had a neck like a telegraph pole and the sound was most unimpressive.
    (Maybe one to nail to the wall as a conversation piece?)
  3. That is easilly the coolest Ibanez ever, and the only one I would even consider buying if I accidently ran across one. It would have to be a bit lighter than the one I tried a couple of years back, 'cause that one was a boat anchor, though.
  4. shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Just as a side note, I know the seller and I played this bass last Friday. It is very lightweight, is in great shape, and is a suprisingly good sounding bass. The neck has the Jazz bass width, but is thick like a P bass neck (which I find to be very comfortable).

You can't go wrong with this one and I can personally vouch for the seller.
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    is that the model Novoselic conked himself w/, or was that some sort of Gibson?
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The infamous MTV award show conking was a Gibson Ripper.

I wouldlnt doubt he had one of these nail him though. He had at least two.