Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Black Eagle Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick man, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Check out this auction!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=915429643

Sure its an Ibanez, but its a really cool one.

They were in production from 1975-1977. Over the years the only difference was the design on the pickgaurd varied slightly. Theyre basically jazz basses with some souped up carving and inlays. The neck is a bit thinner though and they have been described as sounding beefier.

Ive wanted one of these basses for around 5 years now, but have had no luck on actually finding one for sale at a time where Im financially able to buy one. Yeah I only posted this link after being positive that I wouldnt be able to buy it.

Although it looks like no one has spotted this one, Ive seen the price go up to $700 even though I think I herad they sold for $300 new.

They have major cool vintage vibe.

Just though I should point that out incase there are any other people out there looking for a Black Eagle.

Peace
    Nick

2. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Australia
    Just a word of warning - I tried one of these when I was deciding on a new bass about 25 years ago.
    It boiled down to a choice between the Eagle, A Hagstrom and a Real Jazz.
    I picked the Jazz even though it was a lot more expensive - the eagle had a neck like a telegraph pole and the sound was most unimpressive.
    (Maybe one to nail to the wall as a conversation piece?)

3. That is easilly the coolest Ibanez ever, and the only one I would even consider buying if I accidently ran across one. It would have to be a bit lighter than the one I tried a couple of years back, 'cause that one was a boat anchor, though.

4. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
    Just as a side note, I know the seller and I played this bass last Friday. It is very lightweight, is in great shape, and is a suprisingly good sounding bass. The neck has the Jazz bass width, but is thick like a P bass neck (which I find to be very comfortable).

You can't go wrong with this one and I can personally vouch for the seller.

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    is that the model Novoselic conked himself w/, or was that some sort of Gibson?

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The infamous MTV award show conking was a Gibson Ripper.

I wouldlnt doubt he had one of these nail him though. He had at least two.

Peace
    Nick