1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez black eagle...is all the value in the pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnjim, Jun 17, 2014.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Greetings. I love old MIJ stuff and Ibanez is some of the best. There is a Black Eagle for sale near me at a reasonable price...it has the busted headstock peice, glued back on so its there. But, no Eagle pickguard. Thats the coolest part of the bass! How much of the value is in the pickguard?
    Cheers

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It is worth whatever somebody wants to pay for it, but good luck finding one. Just because it is rare does not make it expensive/valuable.

I would think pickguardian could get you pretty darned close. I don't know what his prices are like, I just hear the name come up lots.

3. Rarity and demand are what make it valuable, IMO. Is the seller discounting for the missing pick guard and repaired headstock? I think those two items would be the most important.

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
  5. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Something's not right about that bass (beyond the replaced pickups). The lower horn is the wrong shape. Either someone carved the horn down, or that body is a replica. It should look like this -

[​IMG]

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The value of a Black Eagle is in the entire package, not just the pickguard. In fact, I'd say the main value is in the neck, as the headstock and inlays are entirely unique. The next in line, value-wise, is the unusually shaped body. Third is the pickguard. You can reproduce that pickguard, you can't reproduce the neck.

OP - you should play a Black Eagle before you buy one. They are the heaviest basses I've ever played. By FAR. Also, the lower horn has a pronounced hook that many people find aggravating.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.