1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Black Eagle Reissue : I'm really really torn

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, Apr 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Jump at the chance to rock the Black Eagle Reissue

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. Save your dimes and stick to vintage instruments

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Pony up another $200 and get a Stingray

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    I love older Ibanez basses and I'm a bit of a gear snob. I try generally to avoid any basses made in China or anywhere in the far east other than Japan.
    I've never bought a new bass before but I have to say I'm feeling tempted by the Black Eagle Reissue.
    Of course I would prefer the original ... but I doubt that's going to happen (too rare and expensive).
    The Reissue is made in Indonesia and will retail for around $700 CDN.
    I'm told that some Ibanez prestige basses are made in Indonesia and that they are good basses but I'm still a bit hesitant.
    Do I make the plunge and buy the black Eagle or use that cash to fund another used vintage bass (or perhaps 2)?
    One bass I don't have is a Stingray and for another $200 I could find a used one of those.
    I've got to decide very shortly because they are available only on special order and the Canadian market is rather small compared to USA. Apparently only 36 for the entire country

Feb15_LNU_Ibanez_2609B_web.

DavesnothereCA and SunnBass like this.
  2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Jump on it and play the hell out of it!

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I voted get it, if it's what you want, but Sire is more bass for the $$. But the heart wants what it wants.

Woodchuck and Dradder like this.
  4. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    I'm sorry, but that bass looks like something someone's dad would buy from a gift shop while on vacation in the Ozarks.

Get the Stingray.

SirMjac28, Lethgar and M.R. Ogle like this.
  5. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    You say that like it's a bad thing. :)

6. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Well played sir, well played!

All it's missing is some turquoise knobs.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    dome_stone_turquoise_dblk_1. ?

Lethgar, PWRL and SunnBass like this.
  8. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    i'm always on the lookout for basses that break the rules about looking like the average (in this case, a jazz bass). and let me tell you, that bass looks sooo GOOD!

9. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    Yes! And play it while wearing a freakin' big cowboy hat and crocodile boots, and a bolo tie big as a dinner plate. So nobody would ever accuse you of letting mere tastefulness get in the way of having a good time.

kesslari and SunnBass like this.
  10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Chuckles

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Pretty cool they are re-issuing it but I doubt I will ever see one. If you want one, get one. You will not find a vintage one for anywhere near that, if you can find one.

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I saw the original one listed once early last year where I live, it was in fair used condition given the age - selling for $300! Some smart individual beat me to it before I had a chance to call! This is rare of course, and hardly ever happens but here in the Midwest, it seems like the final resting home for a lot of these rare, vintage equipment. They sit in the closet and usually the age and condition of the basses pencil them in as garage sale items more than the rare finds they truly are, new=expensive, old=cheap, don't want, get rid of. The auto industry has much to do with that here where I live where new cars are bought often to replace old ones.

A quick and easy determination for your dilemma - being that only 37 of these reissues will be released in Canada, you can probably recoup much of that cost later on should you want that Sterling or another bass. You probably won't get the opportunity to get one of these reissues later on unless you buy one used - if you can even find another one, probably at an even higher cost. I would say if you really want it, get it.
    Yes, some of the higher end Premium Ibanez basses are made in Indonesia, the SR1200 and SR1400 to my knowledge.

13. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    I'd rock it!

14. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Hope they aren't as heavy as the old ones.

15. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Brilliant! Paints a perfect picture!

SunnBass likes this.
  16. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I'm sorry....but that bass looks....

Incredibly BAD-ASSED!!!! I frickin love it! It screams for attention and looks like it would be at home in any music genre.
    But how does it sound?

Also, on your questioning he quality of Indonesian Ibanez basses....their SGR5 buckeye burl is made in Indonesia and retails at around $2500.... So yeah, they're good instruments...

17. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Whats the street price and how much do they weigh? Also, do you tend to bang the headstock on your current bass on stuff? If so, you might end up smashing part of the Black Eagle headstock right off, like most of the vintage ones.

18. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player

Mar 14, 2011
    I love that they kept the original look complete, down to the headstock lettering. This one is on my wishlist.

19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    These reissues lists for $826.65 (how did they derive this number?) but will have a street price of around US$599 according to an article I read, so CAD$730.
    I know originals if you could find one used go for at least double that.

You're right about the headstock on these- very fragile- I don't think it was all that wise to put an F hole on the headstock like that-looks nice but one has got to be really careful with these.
    From what I'm reading, the reissue will be identical to the original - so the f hole and weight (around 14 lb) will all be there.

20. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player

Mar 14, 2011