Ibanez Black Eagle Tuner Replacement Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ryan Stewart, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Ryan Stewart

Ryan Stewart

Jul 31, 2019
    Hey all
    I have myself a 2609B Black Eagle reissue and I have to say the tuners on it are horrendous
    I was thinking of changing them and was just wondering what tuning machines you'd recommend and which ones I can use
    Thanks

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Post pics front & back, plz. What's wrong with the tuners?

Riis

3. Ryan Stewart

Ryan Stewart

Jul 31, 2019
    Sorry about the late reply
    The tuners have a massive dead spot where I turn and nothing happens and when it does work it's incredibly hard to turn

Attached Files:

Zooberwerx likes this.
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks for the pics. I'm hoping that someone can chime-in with suggestions (Hipshot maybe?) which would be a direct drop-in. How far can these be disassembled?

Riis

5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    They look like the std. Chinese tuners offered on many lower end basses

schaller BM tuners will be very close. I put them On my SUB, With the same tuners.
    the two bottom screw holes will line up but the top two, although close, will probably need to be rE drilled

6. Ryan Stewart

Ryan Stewart

Jul 31, 2019
    If I have to redrill the holes would it be better just to buy whatever new tuner machine i wanted? like a hipshot one possibly?

7. I 2nd the recommendation of the Schaller BM

8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Absolutely, as long as you can make them fit. Why buy something that isn't what you want especially if they are nearly the same price.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    If you went with something like a hip shot ultralight, you would only need to drill one hole for each tuner