Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Black Eagle...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hategear, May 20, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Does anyone have any info and/or experience with this bass? From the info I have so far, this is a 1977 Ibanez Black Eagle, possibly the same model used by Nirvana in the studio. I like the looks of this baby, I wonder how she plays? The current asking price is $679. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Price seems high, even with that bass being a collector's item.

3. the headstock is broken.

4. I think it was just a Jazz copy more or less, but, with a slightly wider neck and dramatic curves on the horns. I think this was right after the lawsuit, so they deliberately made it look different.

Mike J.

5. Hi,

I have one! It's quite a heavy bass (mahogany or ash body). Almost every Black Eagle bass has a broken headstock because of the poor construction (cutting out an F hole of the headstock, crazy idea). Being a Fender Jazzbass copy I have to say mine plays VERY well and sounds just as good as any other late 70's Jazzbass. I heard stories from one other owner that his necks was horrible; I guess I am lucky with a straight neck. Scale length is about 33" which I don't mind. $679 seems a bit too much. On the other hand it surely IS a collector's piece because they have been made for about 3 years only, there aren't too many around. I hope this info can help you make a right decision.

6. phishfan202

phishfan202

Aug 16, 2009
    absolutely fantastic bass, mine sounds so smooth. i'd like to know how to sell it on this website, but it tells me its spam and there are classifieds, i just cant navigate this site, any help?

7. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio

You have to be supporting member to sell in the classifieds.