1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez blazer lh 1980 neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brentino, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Brentino

Brentino

Dec 30, 2017
    Hi everyone I’ve got a snapped truss rod at the adjuster end on my 1980s
    Left handed blazer bass
    A new neck ?? Is it possible???
    How to repair??
    It’s an awesome bass rather resurrection than destruction
    Any ideas
    Thanks
    Brentino

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    It can always be fixed.

Your options are:

A good Luthier can rebuild the existing neck with a new truss rod. Usually this means a new fingerboard and frets, but sometimes the truss rod can be repaired without harming the fingerboard. It depends. In the US, this will cost you $200-$400.

You can try contacting Ibanez. They may have a replacement neck available.

You can have a custom replacement neck made, to match the original. In the US, that will cost you $300-$500, including painting.

3. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    that's most likely a 2-piece maple neck with a skunk stripe, yes? that means replacing the truss rod will be difficult and likely cost you more than the bass is worth. and finding a left-handed replacement neck will be a tall order.

My advice: part out the existing bass (the hardware and pickups should fetch a decent amount) and buy a whole new bass.

4. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    Seems like there always a blazer part out on eBay. I'd look there.

5. Brentino

Brentino

Dec 30, 2017
    Thanks everyone I’d hoped that there was a chance of finding a replacement
    But being s lefty very slim chance
    Yes the cost of repair is as much as the bass maybe someone out there can see value in the body ?
    Cheers
    And happy new year

6. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    the hardware has value for sure, people will pay a pretty penny for the bridge, tuners, and pickup, maybe even the strap buttons, depending on the type. Not sure how much the body will fetch.

Brentino likes this.
  7. I don't know your location, but I noticed this just recently.
    1981/2 Ibanez Blazer Bass Left Handed | in Londonderry, County Londonderry | Gumtree

It's in the UK, and I'm heading back there, but Londonderry is Northern Ireland which is across the Irish Sea from me so I'm not realy able to help with checking it out. Good price, though (£200 complete bass) and the number is there (+44 for UK and don't use the opening 0 if 'phoning from abroad). Royal Mail's Parcelforce International can take it at a decent price.

8. Brentino

Brentino

Dec 30, 2017
    Hey thanks I’ll check this out for sure