1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez blazer- price question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ss81, Apr 25, 2006.

1. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Hey,

Hoping someone can answer this question: is $275 a reasonable price to pay for a 1981 Ibanez blazer bass in good condition? Thanks!

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Can't recall anythign I know about the Blazers...

I know that the Ibbys back then were still pretty freakin good though...

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah that's a great price as long as it's in average to good condition.

The Ibanez Blazer is still the best passive P bass I have played even better than the '69 Fender that I use in the studio.

Simply amazing bass

4. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

Those are good basses. If it's in good condition buy it.

5. Nicola

Nicola

Apr 28, 2006
    I paid $300 New Zealand dollars in '99 for mine so I guess thats about 150 - 200 USDollars, I dont know if I got it for a bargain, but its in great condition. Its a great little bass I love it and wouldnt play with any other.

6. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Thanks guys, I went for it. It will be arriving tomorrow :)...

7. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Well, I just wanted to post a follow-up after finally being able to sit down and play the bass for a while. The neck is in amazing shape for being 25 years old, no dead spots, virtually no fret wear, and the truss rod didn't require any adjustment. I've read a few reviews that mention high action, but this one came with the strings pretty low with only minor buzzing in a couple of spots (I raised the strings just a tad to eliminate the buzzing altogether).

There were some wiring problems that I traced to the input jack. The nut and threads had corroded and were stuck together, so removing the jack from the pickguard turned into quite a debacle last night (see my post in the Setup & Repair forum); fortunately, I was eventually able to get it off and replace it. The bass now plays without any problems.

Comparing the blazer to my MIM Precision Bass, it's quite a bit heavier due to the big ash slab body. It's hard to assess the difference in frequency response due to the bright new strings on the blazer and the 6+-month old strings on the precision, obviously the blazer sounds a lot brighter at the moment and sustains better. I'm impressed by the bridge on the blazer, I thought I'd replace it with a Gotoh but the stock one looks pretty solid, a lot more mass than the paper-thin bridges that come stock on most fender basses.

The pickup appears to be Dimarzio because of the adjustable hex-shaped poles. I wonder if it's a model P, it seems to have a vintage-style output. I don't think it would be at all necessary to replace it, though I have been itching to experiment with the dimarzio split p for a long time. I'm also thinking about having the body routed for a bridge-position jazz pickup, though I'm not sure if I want to cut up a discontinued bass this old.

Overall, a fantastic bass for a good price. Thanks to everybody who replied recommending that I go for it, I was a little hesitant to buy it but your replies convinced me to go ahead and do it, and I'm very glad I did.

8. Jeverich

Jeverich

May 5, 2006
    Hey all,
    I purchased a 1981 Ibanez Blazer a couple of years ago. At the time, it was in decent condition, with some minor nicks and scratches. I decided to refinish and de-fret a couple of months ago. I used epoxy/ebony dust to fill the fret slots, and epoxied the fingerboard, (Jaco sound). Then, I refinished the body with a nitrocellulose lacquer with an amber tint. Finally, I ordered a custom Tortoise pickguard from Chandler Guitars, which really made this bass stand out. Overall, the fretless tone is excellent, this bass feels so solid, and the action/playability is great.

-jake

Let me know if anyone wants me to post pics

9. Funkster

Funkster Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have a 81 Blazer and it's every bit of Pbass that my 75 Fender P is. I play mine regularly.
    [​IMG]

10. Jeverich

Jeverich

May 5, 2006
    1981 Ibanez Blazer Refinished, and Converted to epoxy fretless.....I LOVE IT!!

[​IMG][/IMG]

11. Jeverich

Jeverich

May 5, 2006
    DSCF0850.

12. put some pics up..!! (thanks)

13. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Zombie thread!!!!