Ibanez Blazer rescue/rebuild

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SUNNyday r., May 20, 2007.

1. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    So I found this wayward bass last summer on CL for $40. I bought it because I already bought another Blazer a few months before (close enough to a P bass to get me into that venerable design) and thought this was a steal. Well, it was beat to hell with many "modified" features like a home made wooden nut set into the nut slot that had been filed/mangled to fit it. It had other bad/interesting features like a home brewed wood thumb rest and all kinds of different screws to hold in the electronics and pick guard. I brought it home and took it apart and got down to helping this poor [email protected][email protected]%d out. I stripped the body of the mangled flame maroon/tiger stripe finish. I was never able to figure out the body wood but I think it is mahogany. It was strange in that it looked like it is capped on the front and back even though I know it is not. I stained it and was not impressed with the outcome and lost interest.

Now, nearly a year later, I took up the project while recovering from my hernia surgery and finished, for the most part, tonight. I used the electronics from it's brother Blazer and used a Fender P bass replacement nut to rectify the horror that was inflicted upon it before. I also decided that staining didn't look so good with the minimal grain and went with my own "secret" paint method. Since this thing was so thrashed I decided to let it have a relic look and used another "secret" method to make the pick guard look as if it had a few thousand cigs smoked around it (it probably did because it did not need much help to make it look yellowed) and just cleaned the frets but that was about it. Enough of this Moby Dick sized post, check out my poor pics.
    4lpv57k.jpg
    4pebc7p.gif
    6g4ipmf.gif
    5ys6h5z.jpg
    65z9tlu.jpg
    4kod314.jpg
    4p1by55.jpg

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Nice!

3. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Thank you jimmy. It is awful late so I hope when I wake up that other Ibanez MIJ fans will come out to chat. I love these two basses. They make me think that one really doesn't need more than a P bass or at least a great P copy!!! Here is a pic of my other.
    6aq4s4l.gif
    4limkuo.jpg

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Those are nice basses and you did a very good job. I had a young student who owns one of those, all original in white. Even stock it's a great sounding bass and didn't really need upgrading. We put on Thomastic flats and did a bit of tweaking and it sounded fantastic. I'd love to buy it from him and he probably wouldn't mind selling it and getting something that looks like a Destroyer or Thunderbird, :) , because he's young, but his father is a guitarist who bought the bass for a song when he worked at a local music store, and would never let it go.

Very nice.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    A Blazer was my first bass. Sold it, regretted it and came across a nice near mint natural finish one a little while back. There's nothing this bass gives to any ash/maple P I've ever seen or played. Beautifully made and great hardware; the weak point is perhaps the pickup, but a Dimarzio will cure that cheap.

Nice resto job. Congrats for bringing a nice bass back from the dead. Enjoy it.

I'm definitely in the Ibanez MIJ fan club: I have 5 of them.

6. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    My last post before bed I swear!:p I found that there isn't a darn thing this or my natural need in the way of upgrades. This one had the original pup in it and it is designed just like a Dimarzio. Real hot!! I bought a Dimarzio yesterday and can't wait to hear what the difference will be. The bridge on both of them is heavier and than a Bad Ass II so I didn't see the point in that. I just wish the pics of my "smoked" pick guard came out better. i will try with some natural light tomorrow to see if I can show the cool "relic" effect!:hyper:

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Curious to hear what you think subbing in the DM. Mine's stock and I see no need at all to change it. The DM's are just my standard recommendation as a reference because they're so cheap and have been around forever.

The bridge on my Blazer is a great piece of work and I can't imagine changing it out unless it was faulty. Not likely as it's very well made, and looks cool.

8. double-muff

double-muff

May 5, 2007
    Iceland.
    cool bass

9. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Yeah, she's soooo nice! Also Blazer is my first bass, and she will be with me till the end ( after I rebuild her... ).
    You say the pickup is a weak point? I love the sound of my blazer, but of you say, that dimarzio is way much better I will probaply test it ;)

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    No. Just a serving suggestion. The stock one is fine.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Yeah more than fine, it is a great pickup. Much better than stock Fender actually.

12. I had a darl brown woodgrain version of this bass I bought new in the early 80's. I still miss it. I used to use the black nylon wound flats on it & it had more punch than mike tyson! I see them pop up every now & then, but still havent seen the dark woodgrain color one as mine was. I'd buy it back in a flash, great bass & the pickup was fantastic for a MIJ instrument!
    Cheers,
    Rusty

13. the colour is very Attitude-like.

14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    LOVE the paint job! care to let me in on the secret? awesome looking bass!

15. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Tried another pic or two in the daylight but still can't get the pickguard to show the "relic" effect I was so proud of.:( All I have is my crummy camera phone though. Ok, here is where I get bashed. My "secret" paint method is nothing more than a rattle can.:eek: I think it helped alot that it was completely stripped down to bare wood and I primed it too. I shot it with two coats of this stuff that is satin and not gloss and just let it dry for a few days. It just looks crazy good and went on even. I do look forward to it getting dinged up and scratched to add to it's well used look. Oh yeah, I also had an Ibanez Roadstar II PJ style and sold it to cover a bill. Kicked myself ever since!

16. Nobody

Nobody Inactive

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    That looks really good!
    Now I need a Blazer to go with my RD and Artcore!

OOD likes this.
  17. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    I just took my Blazer to work last week and shielded around the PU's, through the drilled hole the wires go through and around the volume, tone pots and jack. Brought it home, plugged it in and ..., nothing! :) Dead silent! She was a "buzzer" before.
    I'm going to play her next weekend at an outdoor "Strawberry Festival" instead of my F Bass.

Now..., flats? What's all this about flatwound strings on a "P" bass? Should I try them out? We play a pretty wide variety of music, from the Dead to Eric Clapton. Any thoughts?

I am looking forward to playing the Blazer as it cuts through like crazy. Not nearly so "refined" a sound as the F.

:bassist:

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021