ibanez blazer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jim primate, Nov 22, 2004.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

anyone ever play an ibanez blazer bass? it's essentially a p-bass copy made in the 80's i think. i think it's a pretty cool looking bass and wondered if it sounded as cool as it looked.
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I considered getting one off of Ebay, cuz it ended at $130, but my mom didnt bid (grr was at work)

Instead I got an RB800 which was around the same time period it was made; its awesome...but thats not much help
  3. jim primate

in fact, it's no help. j/k.
  4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I bought one of these new back in the early 80's, first new bass. I recall it being very nicely built, small neck, J width and Ibanez thin (very stable though). Mine was a tobacco-burst and I played it for ages.

If I could get one now locally for $US130 in good nick, I'd buy it in a flash. Good decent bass, not top line like similar era Roadstars/Musicians and I think it would hold itself up in the company of modern basses in a similar price range. Ibanezes of that era seem better made to me.

It's gonna be hard to give much info in the way of tone as I haven't owned it in years, and not long after I got it my GF sweet-talked a shop into a hell (and I mean incredible) deal on some SD's, including installing and routing in a J so that's what I used the most. If you get one at a good price in good order, you can always change the pup; I have a 'hunch' a Dimazio P would be good, and they're readily available and cheap secondhand. It would make a great basis for experimenting with pups too, and I think this is a great way to get your tone nailed; buy (secondhand), try, resell what you don't like.
  5. Blunted Reign

Blunted Reign

Jan 12, 2005
    I Do Currently Have A Ibanez Blazer , I Agree It Wouldnt Be Top Of The Line But Its A Bloody Awesome Bass , I've Had Alot Of P-Basses Mainly Fenders Which I Am Over Now And The Blazer Definately Has Better Tone, I'd Describe it As Really Clean Yet Meaty And Powerful Tone, I Have It In Gloss Metallic Black And In Lefty :) Its Got The Fair Amount Of Gashes In It But Its pretty Mint For Being 25 or so years Since it Was Made . Im Just Doing Little Touch Ups On It Getting it Back To Perfect Condition As Time Goes By But This Is One Bass Im Definately Going To Hold On To For As Long As i Can I Know Itll Be Smashing Through Gigs For Another 10-30 Years Even With My Thrashing. :smug:
  6. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    I have one from the early 80's also. It was in the basement for years, untouched and unloved. Now it's musty, rusty, and sad. I'm thinking of making it into a project bass, although I have absolutely no experience rehabbing. It just needs some new knobs, cleaned-up and frets and tuners (time and a moist basement have rusted the hardware a bit, even the screws look oxidized), and maybe a decent cleaning. I've got too many projects going on robbing me of time to bother messing with it, so it sits mocking me in storage. With TLC, I'm sure it would rehab into a pretty nice bass - natural finish, black pickguard. It's very much a P-bass clone: a Precision neck and body, very thick and solid.

Back in the day that I was playing it, my band often said that they preferred the tone it would put out to my Rick. Preferred it to a Rick! I don't know if I was more impressed with Ibanez or confused by my bandmates, but I guess it does say something about the bass.
  7. jim primate

i just bought one off ebay...$152.50. thanks for the input fellas.
  8. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Hope you enjoy it. Let us know what you think.