Ibanez BP10

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PaulIsTheMan, Sep 5, 2013.

1. PaulIsTheMan

PaulIsTheMan

Nov 25, 2012
  2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Just realize that eBay price is a "buy it now" price, NOT an auction price. The seller could set the buy it now price at $1,000, doesn't mean anyone will buy it. The most recent eBay prices for BP10s that actually SOLD are $44 and $70.

3. PaulIsTheMan

PaulIsTheMan

Nov 25, 2012
    Okay. I still got a deal then:)

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's the same circuit as their CP9, with a couple of capacitors changed for more bass to pass through. It is cousins with the MXR Dynacomp, sharing a similar circuit.

bassically_eli, shirojiro and Winton like this.
  5. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Hi Bongomania,

First, I'd like to thank you for your extensive compressor reviews. I'm obsessed with compressors these days and have amassed several in a hunt for the right one for me. Right now the DoD Milkbox is winning, but I digress.

I have both Ibanez Cp9 and a BP10. The BP 10 is hard for me to understand. The compression changes a lot in character with the sustain knob. It certainly doesn't seem very linear in its adjustment. I get a very "square wavy" kind of tone with it as well. It's almost like a soft clipping. I think that's why I don't use it that much.

The CP9 on the other hand, definitely cuts too much low end but it's very sparkly and bright. Great with a Tele.

Maybe my BP10 is messed up or something...

6. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    It sounds like it may be running out of headroom and clipping the signal. I haven’t any first hand experience, so bongo will probably give you a better explanation.

-Frank

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree that it shouldn't be clipping like that, so something about it is messed up. Unfortunately the only way to find out the exact problem is to test it physically.

8. MrBass617

MrBass617

Mar 13, 2013
    ATL
    Sorry to bump this old post, but the ebay link in the OP is still active, almost 1.5 years later, lol. I have a BP10, but replaced it years ago with a Boss LMB-3, which I replaced about 2 years ago with an FEA Opti-Fet. Frank, I am waiting for my turn to come up for a DE-CL, which will go on my mini board.cheers!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2021