Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez BTB 1006???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crazy_Fingers27, Jul 17, 2004.

1. hi all,

i want a new bass, and have been considering a few different ones, then i came across the ibanez btb 1006. i have never trusted ibanez before with their lower end models, but i have always believed you get what you pay for, so basically all the basses i have looked at (tamaha TRB, warwick corvette, and so on) will be in the same area pretty much when it comes to construction, and quality.

anybody who has personal experience with this bass, or the other stringed models of this bass, i would love to hear your thoughts. or suggest another bass.

i havent played this bass yet, but plane on it. i also have a few questions....

1.) in the picture, it seems as if the tuning keys and the output are made of plastic, is this so???

2.) how does the finish look in person?

3.) how is the string spacing?

thank you so much in advance,
    Jon

2. oops, almost forgot. i like to write alot of tapping stuff. i play mostly progressive rock (dream theater, etc.) but also play alot of primus (ie i need to have god slap tone) and i also play jazz (mostly fusion) and blues. basically i need alot of versatility, but most importantly i need a fast neck seeing as how my main band is a dream theater esque band.

3. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I just got a BTB1000 (4 string) and I doubt I'll buy another bass anytime in the next ten years now that I have this one.

1. The hardware is metal, they just have a "nickel" finish on them. Sharp and classy looking, IMO. The output jack has a plastic edge, since it's a Neutrik locking jack (keeps your cord from coming unplugged unless you're pressing a small button).

2. The finish looks pretty good in person, but it's not outstanding. But then, I'm not a real big fan of flame maple, either.

3. The string spacing is wider than your average bass, and the scale length is longer. 35" as opposed to the more typical 34." I THINK the spacing on mine is something like 19mm between strings, and I think the six has the same spacing, or close to it.

Other stuff...

The tone is outstanding. I still can't believe how good Bartolini pickups and preamps sound. Versatile and well voiced. There are no unusable onboard EQ settings that I've found.

The one thing that may well stop you is the neck. BTBs in general have fairly chunky necks, and even though it's asymmetrical, with six strings and wide spacing, that's going to be a whole lotta instrument for your left hand to wrestle with.

I'd say try it still, but if you're looking for a super-fast neck I don't think this is the bass for you. For super-tight string spacing and thin necks and good tone, check out some Spectors.

4. Charr

Charr

May 14, 2004
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Hi, I just bought the BTB 1005 Yesterday (used 20 hours, and i payed 1/3 of the price for it) first thing i noticed was the finish....MAN!! i have NEVER seen a bass as beautifull as this!! the flamed top is awesome - the picture doesn't do it justice IMHO!
    As was said before, i believe the string spacing is 19mm!

as for the Preamp....again WOW! if you want a nice round sound, you got it, punchy - you got it,....it can do allmost anything!

I've just returned from our rehersal Room....and played it through my Ampeg SVT-CL+SVT810.....i'm gonna have wet Dreams Tonight :bassist:

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!! :hyper: :hyper: ;)

5. oo, now i am going to go on a hunt, because i want to play one now. although i still might go with a conklin GT7, but its a tough decision.