Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez BTB 1205E

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassLow, May 21, 2005.

1. BassLow

BassLow

Sep 14, 2004
    Has anybody tried the new Ibanez BTB 1205E?

How does it feel & sound overall?

And how does it compare to the BTB 1005E & the lower BTB
    series like the BTB 405QM?

2. BassLow

BassLow

Sep 14, 2004
    Has anybody even seen it in store yet?

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I actually own a BTB1206e, which I had bought with the purpose of de-fretting (or having it defretted). I also own a BTB1006e.

The main difference in the two basses is obviously that the 1000's are bolt on and the 1200's are neck-through. The other difference is that the between-string spacing at the bridge is slightly less wide on the 1206e, that the finish is slightly different between the two.

The two basses exhibit exactly what you would expect comparing a bolt-on side-by-side with a neck through: the 1206e is more resonant, and has better sustain, whereas the 1006e has more punch and fundamental. Interestingly, though, the 1206e has a much tigher B-string than that of the (already impressive) 1006e. If I had to choose one as a main, fretted bass, I'd stick with the 1006e, but only narrowly. My brother (also a bass player) much preferred the 1206e.

Any other questions feel free to let me know.

-Aram

4. BassLow

BassLow

Sep 14, 2004

I understand that the 1206E is now made in Korea as opposed to the Japanese made 1006E. Do you notice any significant difference in the quality of wood, workmanship, fit & finish?

They both use Bart pickups & preamp but I'm not sure if they are exactly the same. Do you notice any other difference in tonal quality other than the commonly percieved difference in more sustain in the thru-neck?

On one hand I expect some differences between the two due to the different prices & country of origins. On the other hand I expect they're the same, if not "better" (I'd like to emphasize on the quotation marks here cos apparantly it's subjective.) for the newer 1206E due to the thru-neck construction. I've read the specs & understand how they differ on the paper. Just wonder how they compare, subjectively, in the real world. Any more inputs from anybody else? Whoever tried the 1205e/1206E are more than welcome to join us & you're not limited the discussion between the 1005E/1006E & the 1205E/1206E, just the overall opinion is fine.

5. Dont those higher up BTB's have Barts in place of the ibanez stock pups in the 400 series?

6. BassLow

BassLow

Sep 14, 2004
    If I remember it right, all the recent years BTB from 500 series & up are Bart equiped & everything below that have Ibanez own p/ups & preamps (older, forget from what year, 1000 series don't have Barts).

Everything 500 & higher has now been discontinued though. They only have the 1205E/1206E high up the series now.

7. Ah righteo

Pity Ibanez seem to have killed off too much of thier range :(

8. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    The only difference I notice is in the finish: the 1206e has more of a matte finish, whereas the 1006e has a slight gloss. That and the bridge saddles are slightly different, and as mentioned, slightly closer to each other (barely noticeable though). As far as the woods themselves, the top isn't quite as figured as the 1006e, but that doesn't matter too much to me.

As far as I can tell they're the same -- the 1206e sounded a bit more 'present', but that's probably because of the fresh set of strings that were on it.

Those were the main differences between the bolt on vs. neck-thru that I could tell. I was really surprised with how tight the B is on the 1206e. It's definitely a nice bass -- hopefully they'll start showing up in stores so you can try them out.

Cheers,
    Aram

9. BassLow

BassLow

Sep 14, 2004
    Glad to hear you like your new bass. The new 1205E/1206E does seems to have a nice price/quality balance. Hopefully I can try them out soon.

Did you buy yours in store or was it a mail order? Do you mind if I ask how much you get it for & do you know the price of the 1205E from where you get yours? Just hoping you could help me find the "best price".

What about you folks out there who happen to spot a good price?

10. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey -- I actually am going to sell mine, since I wimped out of de-fretting it, and the shops are charging too much for a de-fret job. My 1006e feels nice and broken in in comparison, so I'm going to just keep that as my fretted sixer, and look for an already fretless one.

I got mine right from Samash.com -- here's the 1205e .

I bought the BTB hard case along with it, which is actually quite nice (it's a TKL). I imagine that at least Sam Ash will start stocking the newer BTBs, although I was just over at the one on 48th St, and didn't notice any. I'll keep my eyes open on good prices for the fiver for you.

-Aram

11. BassLow

BassLow

Sep 14, 2004
    Thanks Aram.
    And I'm sure you can sell yours soon. Too bad I'm not looking for a 6-string though.

Anyone else saw/tried the 1205E/1206E yet?